0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

GK amps.

overkill666

Ok, I'm looking for an amp rig that will do me well for recording and playing live gigs. I'm looking at this setup, and would like some advice on it.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/410MBX/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MB200/
Would this combo have enough power to do what I want?
September 3, 2010 @03:39am
Big Bottom Willie

Looks like you're not getting much response so I'll chime in with my semi-educated opinion.
I've never used that amp but I would think 200 watts might be a little underpowered for playing live gigs, depending on the style of music and the room. I'm guessing with a moniker like "overkill666" you play metal...?
If you need to stay cheap, Sweetwater sells a Hartke 500w head for ~350...
Hope this helps. You can always call Sweetwater customer service and they can help you, as well. I've had a very good experience dealing with their reps.
September 8, 2010 @03:43pm
overkill666

Yeah, I play metal. I'm just looking for a rig suitable for shows so I don't have to worry about it. As for the price, I'm looking to keep it under a grand if possible.
September 10, 2010 @11:50pm
TimmyP1955

Does your band play through good PA's or speakers-on-sticks with no subs?
If the former, all you need is a amp big enough for you to hear yourself. The tilt-back combo amp is the ticket here.
If the latter, you are going to need a rig with more poop - an 800RB head or better.
September 11, 2010 @08:30pm
Big Bottom Willie

Unfortunately, a grand won't buy nearly as much sound as it used to...
If Sweetwater carried them, ;) I might recommend looking at an Acoustic B600H/B810 stack. probably the most bang for your buck, but I'm not sure about reliability.
Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.
September 16, 2010 @02:11pm
jp90

To play live u need at least 350 watts with at least 4 10's, buy a used 4/10 cab.(AMPEG svt 410e 500 watts used IS A GOOD STARTER WITH EMINECE SPEAKERS) . spend ur hard earn money on the head, a GK MB 500 WITH 500 WATTS, WILL WORK GREAT .......GOOGLE REVIEWS ON GK,and do ur research..... With a used ampeg cab.(CAN ALWAYS REPLACE SPEAKERS) and a new GK HEAD( WITH A WARRANTY) IT SHOULD PUT U AT A $1000 ......JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH ON THE SOAP BOX oh ya... ampeg 8 10's is always the best !;)
September 21, 2010 @04:09am
LowE843

I have been gigging through a GK800RB head and a RBH410 cabinet for 7 years. I bought the head used for 300.00! This rig is big enough for most situations. Would love to have a 15" speaker cabinet as well but they get awful heavey at 4:00 in the morning! Besides the bigger clubs can run you through the house subs. Regardless of what head you get make sure to have plenty of head room,. I'd say 600 watts or more to be safe. Hope this helps.
January 11, 2011 @06:32pm