0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound - 3 days left

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

What to do with my Marshall DSL 50...

wingo033

I have a Marshall DSL 50w head runnin through a Lead 1960A cab. I love this amp, it fits me so well, however living in a small apartment it's sort of impractical to have. I was hoping i could get some input on what i should do.
I was thinking of just selling the amp and getting something in the 20w to 40w range. Most 20w to 40w Marshall heads are out of my price range (my range is around 600-800), other than the Marshall Haze 15w head or 40w tube combo. I cant really justify buying the 40w combo because there would be little volume difference. The 15w head, after watching reviews and doin some research, doesn't seem to be fitting for me either.
I checked into a Vox AC30 and an egnater rebel 30. Anyone have an opinion on either of these? I am really unfamiliar with Egnater amps in general and I'm afraid if i get rid of my marshall and get an egnater it may not live up to the same satisfaction level i had with my DSL 50. I think i would be satisfied with a Vox AC30 but i sort of want to check other things out.
Also, any input on an Blackstar HT20?
Bogner alchemist?
Also, i don't know much about hot plates other than that they are basically power attenuators. Would it be possible to keep my DSL 50W and get a hot plate for it? Would that bring it down to a sort of AC30 type level?
Thanks for any input!
September 1, 2010 @06:21pm
SCOTT Blue

I would try an attenuater or hot plate, but your going to have some noise. I have had complaints using a pignose. I would use an attenuater or hot plate.
That is a fine head. GRAMMA makes a stand that will isolate your cab, reducing vibrations for neighbors below and it should improve sound. I don,t think there is a solution to make all neighbors happy. I hate headphones.
I,m lucky in FT Myers I can crank it from 8:00am to 11:00pm, MON-SUN.
GOOD LUCK, I sympathize. Hope this was some help. I do think people need to
be more tolerant, but I don,t know where you live, but while I try to rspect others, but i gotta live, we all deserve that. Good Luck, Peace-scott blue
September 7, 2010 @03:14pm
iplay4JC

I think your idea of an attentuator is sound.
Although not in the wattage range you specified, check out the Marshall Class 5. Not a bad amp, made in England and it flat out rocks.
September 7, 2010 @06:44pm
5454stevef

I have a Marshall DSL 50w head runnin through a Lead 1960A cab. I love this amp, it fits me so well, however living in a small apartment it's sort of impractical to have. I was hoping i could get some input on what i should do.
I was thinking of just selling the amp and getting something in the 20w to 40w range. Most 20w to 40w Marshall heads are out of my price range (my range is around 600-800), other than the Marshall Haze 15w head or 40w tube combo. I cant really justify buying the 40w combo because there would be little volume difference. The 15w head, after watching reviews and doin some research, doesn't seem to be fitting for me either.
I checked into a Vox AC30 and an egnater rebel 30. Anyone have an opinion on either of these? I am really unfamiliar with Egnater amps in general and I'm afraid if i get rid of my marshall and get an egnater it may not live up to the same satisfaction level i had with my DSL 50. I think i would be satisfied with a Vox AC30 but i sort of want to check other things out.
Also, any input on an Blackstar HT20?
Bogner alchemist?
Also, i don't know much about hot plates other than that they are basically power attenuators. Would it be possible to keep my DSL 50W and get a hot plate for it? Would that bring it down to a sort of AC30 type level?
Thanks for any input!

Ditto on the attenuator. You should be able to get it down to a very manageable level and still have the power to get loud when you get a chance.
It seems to me that since you say the amp you have fits you perfectly, you should by all means hang onto it - you may never find another one you like as well.
Also, I think you would be surprised at how loud an AC30 is, there would be a difference, mainly because you have half as many speakers, but if you're thinking it will be quiet enough to satisfy your neighbors, I'm doubt you'll get the result you need. I love AC30's - never had a real one but my main amp is a DIY clone, best sounding amp I've ever had, and I love playing thru it. I used to use it in a band with guys who played thru a 100W Super Lead and a SVT, and it pretty much kept up. Hard to believe but true. The point being, the reduction in wattage looks good on paper but it's still pretty dang loud.
SF
September 14, 2010 @10:58pm
TimmyP1955

Even a Princeton can be loud enough to perturb the neighbors. Keep the head. The narrow high frequency dispersion of a 4x12 makes it a poor choice for all but the largest venues, and you can't crank it enough in most venues to take advantage of the tone that only a 4x12 has. Sell the cabinet (if you can get the right money) and get a 1x12 (and put a Beam Blocker) on it.
September 16, 2010 @04:48am
kbarreraj

hey wongo i had one and traded it man i miss it !! most amps distortion comes from the tubes saturation , the dsl's come from the preamp section so at low volumes you can get some pretty decent sound , keep the head and get a smaller cabinet ! hope this helps ....J.B.
January 29, 2014 @09:20pm