0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
February Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Gibson Les Paul or Sg?

gibsonman

Ok, im lookin for a new guitar about $1000, I've found the Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash and the Gibson Zoot Suit Sg, I just need some opinions.
August 24, 2010 @02:18pm
anotherfender

You have to play them both and play them some more so that you're sure you have picked the one you truly like and will want to keep it. 3 of my 4 last guitar purchases are gone..sold or hanging on consignment...
I personally like SGs, they're not so heavy. I do not like the Zoot suit SG at all, get a regular SG, black, red, white, yellow, anything but that ugly guitar..I had one SG I still wish I had :(
good luck
August 25, 2010 @12:11am
gibsonman

ok thanks!
August 25, 2010 @01:03pm
gibsonman

Ok, well i went to guitar center and played a few different guitars, and i played a "Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum Ltd" its used so its $899, i really like it!
August 26, 2010 @12:43pm
anotherfender

'man,
I forgot some of my usual guitar buying advice, consider a used guitar, will save you LOTS of $$$$..
another budget angle, check out some Epiphones, I recently bought a used Epiphone Sg, played it and a Gibson SG, liked the Epiphone better 1/3 the price....
you were very wise to try the guitars you're interested in, even try some you weren't interested in...play them a LOT, use the amps/effects you'll be using so you're sure the sound you like is the guitar
there are tons of guitars/amps/pedals out there so what sounds good to you may not be what someone else is looking for...
you see lots of people playing Les Pauls and SGs, there's a reason, they're both great classic guitars, they're versatile, you see them in everything from heavy metal to country bands...
let us know what you get please.
August 29, 2010 @05:03pm
nomad100

the zoot suit sg weight a ton! Les Pauls have a little bigger sound and more mids.
January 4, 2011 @09:44pm
livingwater

I have an 89 Gibson Les Paul custom
L♥ve the tone and the curves of the guitar
I ordered the SG recently, great tone, curves and very light weight
Some of the greats to name a few have owned both:
Pete Townshend
Carlos Santana
December 10, 2011 @01:48pm