0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Dual boot

mauijoe

I currently have Pro Tools LE system running on a CS Rack XT with Vista 32. I am going to be switching to Pro Tools HD2 but it may be a while before I can get the HD2 system all up and running and I need to have the LE system available. Since i understand that LE and HD cannot exist in the same OS , I would like to add a third drive, install the same operating system (Vista 32) on that drive, configure it as a dual boot system, and install HD on that drive, Are there any problems with this approach. One that I know may happen is my copy of windows (received with the computer) may not like to install a second time on the same machine and may require another license. If this is true I don't know how to get around it short of buying another copy of Vista. This is something I have read, so not sure. Should I be looking at another operating system for HD2? Any other potential problems?
Aloha
Joe in Maui
August 13, 2010 @03:10am
Justin

Dual booting can be tricky. You could look at just setting it up with your primary drive in a removable drive tray.
August 13, 2010 @03:48pm
mauijoe

Thanks
I hadn't thought of that but it seems to be foolproof. My drive that I have LE on is "C". Now if I make another separate drive with the same operating system and HD on it and plug it in, what will be its drive designation ( or do I set this during installation) and will the computer always boot from the drive in the removable tray or do I set that up somewhere? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I have not ever used a removable drive .
Alopha
Joe
August 13, 2010 @09:38pm