0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Spring Clearance Last Chance

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Vintage Module: Emu B-3/Proteus 2000 Question

cfcboc

I have an Emu B-3 rack module that just failed and have contacted Sweetwater regarding service. However, in looking inside the module, I notice that the B-3 sound chip is removable and looks like a standard ROM chip. Since The Proteus 2000 has several open chip slots for expansion ROM's, can I move the B-3 ROM into the Proteus 2000 module. I'm thinking it would be the same ROM as if you were buying a Proteus expansion B-3 ROM.
If I can't get the B-3 module economically repaired, any issues I should be aware of in transferring the chip to the Proteus? and will it automatically recognize the ROM and make the sound available?
August 1, 2010 @11:37pm
wsm

I have an Emu B-3 rack module that just failed and have contacted Sweetwater regarding service. However, in looking inside the module, I notice that the B-3 sound chip is removable and looks like a standard ROM chip. Since The Proteus 2000 has several open chip slots for expansion ROM's, can I move the B-3 ROM into the Proteus 2000 module. I'm thinking it would be the same ROM as if you were buying a Proteus expansion B-3 ROM.
If I can't get the B-3 module economically repaired, any issues I should be aware of in transferring the chip to the Proteus? and will it automatically recognize the ROM and make the sound available?

Chuck, I want to do the same thing. I just bought an E-Mu B3 rack module. Although the unit hasn't failed, it would be enormously easier to have its sounds in one unit, the Proteus 2000 controlled by a single volume pedal to mix with the synth/controller.
My additional question (i.e. in addition to Chuck's) to anyone who has done this is, is there anything that you would lose in terms of controls? does the B3 rack unity do anything that the Proteus 2000 doesn't?
December 22, 2010 @10:07pm
David Klausner

My recollection of those units was that they all had the same internal architecture, but EMU sold different ones with different base ROMs so the guy who just wanted the B3 sounds wasn't paying for the Proteus sounds, and vice versa The ROMs should work fine in any rack in that series, and you won't lose any control functionality. You have a fixed amount of polyphony per rack, so if you are layering or sequencing, that might become an issue, and if you were processing the different sounds differently, you'll have to play with your routing as well.
December 22, 2010 @10:17pm