0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
February Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Looking for CS - Vista32 Tweaks

13adamz

I have a CS Tower, Vista32/sp1 , 2.6 quad which is using upon startup 25% of my 32bit limited RAM of 3.3 GB and is running 36 - 39 processes. I want to accomplish the following:
1. Completely eliminate unnecessary processes (I have done some of this already).
2. Free up as much of the the 32 bit limited RAM as possible and dedicate it to the audio programs and plugins. i.e. I just installed EW Symphonic Choirs and the minimum RAM reqs. are (from the website)
PC:
* Minimum: P4 2.5Ghz or faster, 2GB RAM, Windows XP SP 2 or Vista, sound card with ASIO drivers, DVD drive
* Recommended: Core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz or faster processor, 4GB+ RAM, sound card with ASIO drivers, 64-bit OS and host, DVD drive
3. Is there a workaround for the Vista 32 bit / 3.3gb RAM limitation? What are other users doing in similar situations where they could use more RAM than 3.3gb but are stuck with a V32bit OS? (4gb is installed, but only 3.3 is available)
Thanks for your time and help !
July 19, 2010 @03:27pm
Justin

Here is the list of Vista optimizations.
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ts/detail.php?Index=31969&Keyword=vista+optimizationfalse
The 3.3GB of RAM is due to the way addresses are assigned by Windows.
You have 4GB of RAM addresses available in a 32-bit system for ALL the things in the machine that use memory. So that means you have to subtract addresses for the cache in the CPU and hard drives, the video card, and any other onboard peripherals that need memory addresses to work.
The balance is what is available, these addresses get assigned to RAM, and are available for your programs.
I think you've found info about a different limitation. Older programs were not aware of higher address spaces. Those older 32-bit applications could only see 2GB of RAM each. There was a hack that could let you edit the executable and make it aware of the additional addresses, giving it access to 3GB instead of 2. This didn't always work well for every program. It was popular on old GigaStudio systems back in the XP days.
July 20, 2010 @06:27pm