0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

yamaha cp1

azi

well, it is the best electronic piano ever.
but, its absurd, that it is named after the great cp 70-80-60, which had , in their preamps the classic effect of tremolo/auto pan , with the depth and speed pots, like the rhodes and the wurlys. but here, there is no option for the cp sounds !!! only for the rhodes and wurlys...
i think that only "powerful" people can "get" to yamaha to make them understand that this is not cool... and that they should update all cp1 to have a tremolo effect for the cp sounds !!!
dont you all think so ?:
July 16, 2010 @12:17pm
DAS

Interesting post. I won't debate whether it should have those controls, arguably it should.
But...to criticize it for being named after the CP-80/70, etc. because it doesn't have this capability strikes me as odd. I mean, it also doesn't have a giant harp of strings and pickups and hammers that hit the strings, etc. There are many differences much more significant than a couple of parameters between this keyboard and its older namesakes.
Anyway, if they get enough of this type of feedback they may add that in a future software rev.
July 16, 2010 @12:47pm
azi

not so, sorry.
the concept here is to create a digital "copy" of some original acoustic/electro-acoustic/electronic(FM) pianos.
making the best possible "copy" , with all characeristics of the original instruments.
and so they did, in all of them.
but only with the cp "copy" , they did not , by not giving the option of the original cp preamp, which had the vibrato , (which is really tremolo), depth and speed effect.
and they named the instrument after the cp... not the cf grand, not the rhodes and wurly, (well, they can not do that...) , and not after the dx7...
that is all i said.
it is an expensive instrument. it is a good instrument. it should go all the way...
its not a problem to update a digital preamp for the digital cp...
but one can not reach yamaha!
maybe sweetwater can!
July 16, 2010 @04:35pm
azi

and just to add,
how many people played the original cf grand, the original cp 70-80-60, the original rhodes mk 1,2, 3 , 5, the original wurlys, and the original dx7 ?
( i have ).
i even own a yamaha yux, a mk5 rhodes, a dx7, a hammond b3, and some more.
and now i own the lovely cp1
but they should fix the missing tremolo for the cp....
July 16, 2010 @04:56pm
DAS

and just to add,
how many people played the original cf grand, the original cp 70-80-60, the original rhodes mk 1,2, 3 , 5, the original wurlys, and the original dx7 ?
( i have ).

I have played or worked with most of those as well (and many others) and for the most part I don't miss them, especially the moving them around for gigs part -- although my old CP-70 flight case makes nice temporary housing for medium sized families. I agree that to be totally authentic this board should have those features. I just don't have a problem with the name or the concept of what it is because for the most part I think it does exactly what they say.
We can pass the message along to our Yamaha rep, but they are a big, bureaucratic company so it's going to take more than this for something to get changed.
July 16, 2010 @05:42pm
Joe Muscara

It would probably be easier to get them to change the name than to add the features you're talking about! :D
July 17, 2010 @12:00pm
azi

I have played or worked with most of those as well (and many others) and for the most part I don't miss them, especially the moving them around for gigs part -- although my old CP-70 flight case makes nice temporary housing for medium sized families. I agree that to be totally authentic this board should have those features. I just don't have a problem with the name or the concept of what it is because for the most part I think it does exactly what they say.
We can pass the message along to our Yamaha rep, but they are a big, bureaucratic company so it's going to take more than this for something to get changed.

it would be great if you could actualy do that.
at least i will know that i had the chance to let someone at yamaha know that, and maybe they will do something with it, maybe they will bother to answer a 35 years and thousands and thousands of dollars customer of yamaha musical instruments ...
thank you anyway..
July 17, 2010 @02:40pm
lvercaut

+1 azi.
I want to keep this thread alive.
Please, Yamaha , give us os 1.20 with tremolo for the CP80/88
It's OK you name it vibrato again.
March 27, 2012 @02:57pm