0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Vocal Doubling

StuartS

I heard the term vocal doubling recently, and would like to know more specifically what it is, how to do it, etc. I vaguely recall reading something about splitting the signal, sending half through a delay (really short), and feeding the delayed signal back into the mix along with the original. Am I close?
August 21, 2001 @07:45pm
recordingpro

you've got the general idea, but I'll just clarify for the benefit of all.
Vocal doubling is a great tool, and you've probably heard it a million times. In recording, doubling could involve having the singer just sing the part twice. Being as no singer is perfect (regardless of what they may think :D ) minor differances in pitch and timing will create a thicker sound. With modern technology, this is pretty easy to simulate in the studio, or live. I think you are inquiring about live, but I'll mention both for the benefit of others. On an Adat or DAW system, you can take a recorded track, copy it, and then slide the copy back so it is delayed.... 15 to 30 milliseconds seems to be the most popular range I've seen. You can also (in studio or live) use an effects processor to add a very slight echo/delay to the signal to simulate this. Some vocal doublers are much like a very light chorus effect. Pretty much every multi-effects box on the market will have a preset that will allow you to achieve this. There are other ways to setup a vocal doubling effect, and every engineer will have their own favorite. If its in the studio, I personally prefer a second take, although I'm totally comfortable using some other method.
Anyone out there have any other ideas, or have a favorite processor that they like to use for this type of effect?
August 21, 2001 @08:13pm