0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Wireless Mics

srbell81

I am looking to buy a good quality wireless mic system for around $200. It will be used for my church, for speaking and not very often. Just a back up mic.any suggestions????
July 6, 2010 @03:28pm
michaelhoddy

good quality wireless mic system for around $200.

In wireless, "cheap" and "good quality" are mutually exclusive terms. You can get one, but not both. The entry level price point for wireless that's not unreliable, bad-sounding rubbish is really around $400.
Your best bet would be to look at the used market for some Sennheiser EW100 series G2 or Shure SLX or something. You might still end up paying a bit more than your budget, but you'll end up with a wireless system that's not a throwaway.
July 6, 2010 @03:46pm
jpleong

If you go the used route, make sure you don't get a 700-800MHz system. They are now "legally" obsolete.
JP
July 6, 2010 @04:55pm
Landon

I would opt for a Shure ULX transmitter. The SLX are cheap, but are not great at all. You can get a decent SM58 ULX for under $300 (without transceiver station). If the house has stations for it, you should be fine with that.
July 6, 2010 @08:25pm
michaelhoddy

There's no way the OP is getting into a complete used ULX system for $300, unless it's either beat to death or fell off the back of a truck.
And I'm confused- what's the use of a ULX transmitter without the receiver?
I'm no SLX fan either, but single systems can be made to work adequately, and used SLX is still better than any $200-300 new system.
July 6, 2010 @09:40pm
Landon

There's no way the OP is getting into a complete used ULX system for $300, unless it's either beat to death or fell off the back of a truck.
And I'm confused- what's the use of a ULX transmitter without the receiver?
I'm no SLX fan either, but single systems can be made to work adequately, and used SLX is still better than any $200-300 new system.

You're absolutely right! I would be hoping that the house would have the same receiver. I just don't know how many venues use ULX....
Yeah... if he/she needs a total system, then ya go with the SLX. I don't even think you can get a used ULX system under $500.
July 8, 2010 @08:56pm
swtearl

Don't forget you get what you pay for....you get a cheap wireless and its just that..>CHEAP!!!
August 31, 2010 @03:54pm
swtearl

So what did you go with?
September 7, 2010 @03:07am
lavandera

Hey guys! uhmmm yeah I agree with cheap mics = cheap performance (preferring to mic)
But i, myself, don't know what mic to choose. I don' even know anything that i could say "this mic is good" or "this mic is the best". I just want one for my own. I want my personal microphone. One that sounds better and lass longer. One with a good quality. It just annoys me and frustrates me to sing using a very poor microphone. It happens most of the time when I get an invitation to sing. ya know. it sucks sometimes. and i just wanna end that up. :(
any ideas on this regard?
dolphin pictures
Ecommerce Conversions
March 4, 2011 @10:21am
kk456

In wireless, "cheap" and "good quality" are mutually exclusive terms. You can get one, but not both. The entry level price point for wireless that's not unreliable, bad-sounding rubbish is really around $400.
Your best bet would be to look at the used market for some Sennheiser EW100 series G2 or Shure SLX or something. You might still end up paying a bit more than your budget, but you'll end up with a wireless system that's not a throwaway.

If you go the used route, make sure you don't get a 700-800MHz system. They are now "legally" obsolete.
April 9, 2011 @09:31am
TimmyP1955

hello..
what's the best mic for a beginner?
thanks!
metal tile backsplash

Whatever the rest of the band are using. It's best if there's only one kind of mic use on a monitor mix (easier to EQ for feedback and still have some tone and volume). The Shure SM58 is the most common. I've never been a fan - I prefer the Sennheiser E835, Audix OM3, and EV N/D 767a.
April 17, 2011 @07:53am
jpleong

You're just replying to Spam, Timmy :p
JP
April 17, 2011 @08:15pm