0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Best Mac Sequencer Replacement for Opcode Vision?

rmbd40

Hi gang,
Anybody remember Opcode's Vision as fondly as I do? The best part about it that hasn't been replicated in any other MIDI sequencing software that I'm aware of was the capability to record in "subsequences" (fully multitracked song segments as short as 1 measure long). Then, to construct a "song", you would string these subsequences together in whatever order made sense, reusing them as many times as you liked. Then Vision would play back the whole song arrangement. If you didn't like it, you could easily move the segments around until you had the perfect arrangement. You'd name the subsequences A, B, C, etc. Then to play a "song", you'd just type A B C C B B C F D E C C A (or whatever), and the song would play in that order. It was perfection. Nirvana. At least for the way I write music...not having the benefit of being a keyboard virtuoso, or knowing the perfect arrangement in advance.
Does any new commercial sequencer have this capability? If so, I will buy it TODAY.
I own DP4.5 and ProTools LE 7.3. Both have collected dust because I can't compose the way I want to.
Seems like most of the innovation of the past decade has been in audio recording/editing/plugins/effects, etc. Nobody, not even Apple's Garage Band, makes MIDI recording as easy as Vision was.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Dave
June 14, 2010 @04:59pm
music producer

Studio Vision was way cool. And I wasn't very tech, but I noticed it was a giant leap downward for MIDI when I went to Pro Tools.
Like you say, that was a great feature. I don't compose quite as much that way, so it's not quite as painful for me. The closest for me would be to be in grid mode set to Measures with "All" selected in groups and grab song sections, but with obvious limitations, decisions about choosing Shuffle mode, etc..
August 16, 2010 @08:44pm
Les P

I still have my Studio Vision hooked up on a old G3 and Proteus Modules. I'm still salvaging projects in Midi file format to dump into Logic 9. I'm with you. I really enjoyed Vision.
I just took the leap and purchased Logic 9. The interface takes some learning, but you will get sort of the same push button effects by working with discrete regions in the tracks, sort a modular approach to writing, and switching them as needed. Not on-the-fly, but then I'm pretty new to Logic and perhaps there is a way to imitate the ABC method I haven't learned.
Good luck.
November 10, 2011 @01:32am
Drue

I realize you already bought logic but I think for what you want ableton live is the way to go. It lets you record multi track clips and trigger them in any order you want and recording all of it to a timeline. If you haven't checked it out, you defiantly should.
November 10, 2011 @06:40pm
Andrew_Malloy

Like Drue said, try live. Make sure to go through the tutorial built in to the demo. It will make much more sense after you do.
http://www.ableton.com/download-live-trial
November 10, 2011 @07:27pm
Toys

toys coupon codes
November 11, 2011 @02:55am
music producer

Long live Opcode Vision... Opcode Vision is dead.
November 11, 2011 @12:36pm
ghadimi

Great question Dave. Curious of you ever found a decent replacement for Studio Vision. I also found that feature invaluable and awesome.
The ONLY thing that was close for me was FL Studio's playlist feature. Otherwise, none of the apps mentioned below (like Live, etc..) come close. FL Studio is PC only at the moment, unfortunately.
John
Hi gang,
Anybody remember Opcode's Vision as fondly as I do? The best part about it that hasn't been replicated in any other MIDI sequencing software that I'm aware of was the capability to record in "subsequences" (fully multitracked song segments as short as 1 measure long). Then, to construct a "song", you would string these subsequences together in whatever order made sense, reusing them as many times as you liked. Then Vision would play back the whole song arrangement. If you didn't like it, you could easily move the segments around until you had the perfect arrangement. You'd name the subsequences A, B, C, etc. Then to play a "song", you'd just type A B C C B B C F D E C C A (or whatever), and the song would play in that order. It was perfection. Nirvana. At least for the way I write music...not having the benefit of being a keyboard virtuoso, or knowing the perfect arrangement in advance.
Does any new commercial sequencer have this capability? If so, I will buy it TODAY.
I own DP4.5 and ProTools LE 7.3. Both have collected dust because I can't compose the way I want to.
Seems like most of the innovation of the past decade has been in audio recording/editing/plugins/effects, etc. Nobody, not even Apple's Garage Band, makes MIDI recording as easy as Vision was.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Dave
January 14, 2014 @11:10pm
maggie90

yea Studio Vision for sure!
April 10, 2014 @01:02am
altmuse

I also truly miss Studio Vision. It's audio to Midi capabilities have never been equaled. I could sample a spoken sentence and get an amazing amount of pitch bend info (i.e. inflection) from it. Even Melodyne which is purporetdly all about that sort of thing falls WAY short….. :(
I too went to DP from there and then Logic, never use them any more, just Ableton with lots of Plug-ins like MAX 4 Lve, Reaktor and Kontakt…some Rewired Reason for special moments :0. I mainly perform live thru the software so I'm not so interested in Linear editing but truly none of these can hold a candle to Visions MIDI editing capabilities…big steps backwards, like "Flowers for Algernon"...
April 26, 2014 @05:41pm
timtussing

Dave,
I was blown away to read your post just last night. Studio Vision is the ONLY sequencing software I have ever used, and I have not used it since 1994, sad but true. It has been a monkey on my back for two decades. I've wanted to design my own studio and I couldn't imagine using anything but Studio Vision. I really want to know if you have found your answer. Is the best option now Ableton Live? I really wouldn't know. All I know is Studio Vision. I took a course at The Evergreen State College in 93/94 called Intro to Music Technology, but I didn't know that we were using something that was not only the first of its kind, but that would also become obsolete. Is this true? Is there really no way to build that old piece of Nirvana back together again? It's all I really want, and I've used nothing since. (We were also using Sound Designer for digital audio recording and editing.)I really can't say how much I appreciate your question, Dave, as well as the way you described the nice capabilities I once knew.
Thank you,
Tim
February 25, 2015 @01:29am
tobias6sig

If I sent you an old Opcode file, could you please convert it as SMF and send back?
I still have my Studio Vision hooked up on a old G3 and Proteus Modules. I'm still salvaging projects in Midi file format to dump into Logic 9. I'm with you. I really enjoyed Vision.
I just took the leap and purchased Logic 9. The interface takes some learning, but you will get sort of the same push button effects by working with discrete regions in the tracks, sort a modular approach to writing, and switching them as needed. Not on-the-fly, but then I'm pretty new to Logic and perhaps there is a way to imitate the ABC method I haven't learned.
Good luck.
May 13, 2015 @03:33pm