rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Daisy Chaining Mixers

Landon

I was thinking about daisy chaining two Peavey PV mixers together and was wondering if this was the correct way:
Going out of the slave mixer using TRS connectors and into the TRS outputs—then out using XLR into the power amplifiers. I figured that it was similar to daisy chaining power amplifiers
April 29, 2010 @07:01pm
Ted

I'm not quite clear on how you're connecting the two mixers...you're going out of one mixer into the other. Which inputs and outputs are you wanting to use?
April 29, 2010 @07:08pm
yeahforbes

Going out of the slave mixer using TRS connectors and into the TRS outputs—then out using XLR into the power amplifiers.

For every connection point you mention, you need to specify on which device it is! All I got from this was something about going into outputs which can never be good. Unless you just meant physically plugging a cable into the output jacks. To simplify this condition, just refer to coming out of outputs and going into inputs.
I figured that it was similar to daisy chaining power amplifiers

Chaining power amplifiers involves parallel connections (single out split into multiple ins), and chaining mixers involves a series (out to in, out to in, out to in...).
April 29, 2010 @07:27pm
Landon

This is why it was a little confusing to me when I first learned about how to daisy chain. Yes, I would be going out using the TRS connectors and into the TRS of the other mixer. I will then be going out using the XLR connectors into the power amplifiers.
They are all marked 'output' just as the amplifier inserts are all marked 'input'... even though you are going out of the amplifier jacks (XLR in, TRS out and into the next amplifier....)
April 29, 2010 @08:22pm
yeahforbes

This is why it was a little confusing to me when I first learned about how to daisy chain. Yes, I would be going out using the TRS connectors and into the TRS of the other mixer. I will then be going out using the XLR connectors into the power amplifiers.

You're still not addressing specifically which connectors -- at least not until the next paragraph. "the TRS of the other mixer" is ambiguous.
What you want to do is go from the first mixer's TRS main outputs to any available TRS inputs on the second mixer. Not into the second mixer's TRS outputs. Never try to send something into an output -- now we have quite a joke on our hands. Basically, you're going the wrong way on a one way street. Anyway, the inputs on the second mixer could be line inputs on a pair of channels panned hard L/R, line inputs on a stereo channel, a stereo aux return, possibly a tape return (although some mixers can't mix the tape return into the mix bus, but instead have a "Tape Monitor" button that replaces the mix), or maybe even the return side of a subgroup insert point (particular wiring would be necessary for unbalanced TRS inserts). Any of those, but definitely not the TRS main outs.
Taking advantage of parallel inputs on an amp (XLR and TRS) to use one jack as an output into another mixer is ok because you're actually splitting one output (the mixer) to two inputs (two amps). With parallel outputs on a mixer (XLR and TRS), to use one jack as an input is electrically the same as taking your two mixer outputs and combining them with a Y cable. Y cables are for turning 1 into 2, not 2 into 1. If you could combine things with Y cables we wouldn't need mixers! Technically it may work, you may hear both, but it is very stressful on the output stages of both mixers. Then again it might not work at all, if the XLR and TRS outputs of the mixer are isolated rather than simply parallel.
April 30, 2010 @12:33am
Landon

That's what I initially thought. I didn't want to say that I was trying to use one of the outputs as an input LOL.
I know that on Mackie amplifiers, the wiring is designed so that you go into an XLR and out through the TRS input—yes I said input—however; the input in this context becomes an output does this make sense?
I thought that maybe the Peavey mixers were similar to the Mackie amplifiers with the difference only inverse. :o I used to just use an extra channel's insert ... but wasn't sure if there was another way.
April 30, 2010 @01:25am