0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
February Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Mackie Onyx 1640i

Trumpetguy7

I've been looking for a straight answer.
"However, the true power of the 1640i lies in its ability bring back the full 16 channels of FireWire output from your computer directly into the channel strips - for a true tape style mix down
If you are doing a real analog mixdown, you will surely benefit from the premium features that the 1640i provides. Send all channels simultaneously to your DAW, get them recorded and apply your plug-ins. Once you have everything edited and ready, you can simply route up to 16 streams straight back into the 1640i's channel strips."
What does that mean?
The Mixer can also be used as a control surface to mix in the box?
April 28, 2010 @06:53pm
Ted

No, the 1640i cannot be used as a control surface...it's essentially an analog mixer with a 16x16 Firewire interface built right into it. The difference between this and the previous generation is that the older model only let you bring your stereo mix back from the computer for monitoring, whereas this one will let you bring back all sixteen channels. Each one is fed into its own channels so you can use the board's equalizers and faders for mixing as well as inserting outboard gear, etc...but it does not control what goes on inside of the computer.
April 28, 2010 @07:00pm
jpleong

No, it means that the built-in Firewire audio interface of the new Onyx series can output to each individual channel strip on the mixing console. That enables you to mix "out of the box" using the hardware EQ and summing sections of the Mackie.
JP
April 28, 2010 @07:35pm
Trumpetguy7

I think I like this option that I had a while back instead of using Apogees and such. This sounds much easier. I can use this board to track into Logic...then bring 16 channels back through the mixer to mix down with the mixer and still use outboard gear.
I have another question....I bet everyone is tired of me at this point!..... Would I be able to use Garage band with this board? I don't see the point of upgrading since I'll do buss work on the Mackie during mix down.
May 18, 2010 @03:19pm
BPlayer

This mixer is also a great way to get into ProTools without having to purchase any ProTools hardware. This mixer along with ProTools M-Powered for $250 and a $50 Mackie driver gets you up and running in ProTools recording 16 tracks simultaneously. If I didn't already own a Digi 003 this is the way I'd go. 16 Onyx preamps, Perkins EQ and 16 tracks - that would be great !
May 18, 2010 @05:56pm
TimmyP1955

The trouble with it is that it involves a D-A conversion to get the signals into the mixer, and an A-D conversion to get the mixdown back into the computer. Not the best way to go from a fidelity standpoint.
May 19, 2010 @03:04am
Trumpetguy7

I'm thinking of mixing down to an Alesis Masterlink. Either way there has to be conversion.
Something I can do is use my Apogee Duet on simple projects to input the tracks into Garage band then after I finish recording I can just mix down on the Mackie going into the Alesis Masterlink.
May 19, 2010 @01:46pm
TimmyP1955

If you had an O1V96 you could keep the signal in the digital domain. A friend says that mixing this way sounds better than mixing "in the box" on his Sonar 6 rig.
May 20, 2010 @06:12am
BPlayer

TimmyP1955 - You are either mistaken or your post isn't clear............
You wrote - "The trouble with it is that it involves a D-A conversion to get the signals into the mixer, and an A-D conversion to get the mixdown back into the computer. Not the best way to go from a fidelity standpoint."
Actually, the Mackie setup is BETTER than the Digidesign 003 and is the best way to go from a fidelity standpoint. In either case there is a front end analog to digital conversion whether it be the Mackie 1640i or the Digidesign 003. At that point the data is transferred digitally via Firewire to the computer. Be aware that some of the Mackie Oxyx mixers do not have firewire but the 1640i model mentioned in my post does. I have also been told by my Sweetwater rep the the A/D converters in the Mackie 1640i are far superior than the ones in the Digidesign 003 unit.
May 26, 2010 @03:28pm
Ted

I think what he was saying was that mixing through the Onyx board would require an extra round of D/A and A/D conversion as opposed to mixing in the computer, where everything stays in the digital domain once it's there.
Having said that, while I wouldn't say that the Onyx converters are "far superior" to those in the 003 I would say that the degradation introduced by the extra round of conversion would not be noticeable in most cases, and especially if you're wanting to use any additional outboard gear (or if you really like the sound of the equalizers in the Mackie) it's not likely to be a concern on a practical level at all.
May 26, 2010 @03:36pm
Trumpetguy7

Cool. Thanks Ted.
May 26, 2010 @04:43pm
justinlee23

No, the 1640i cannot be used as a control surface...it's essentially an analog mixer with a 16x16 Firewire interface built right into it. The difference between this and the previous generation is that the older model only let you bring your stereo mix back from the computer for monitoring, whereas this one will let you bring back all sixteen channels. Each one is fed into its own channels so you can use the board's equalizers and faders for mixing as well as inserting outboard gear, etc...but it does not control what goes on inside of the computer.

i'm not sure about the control part. well anyway I have traktor pro and I FIND IT HARD TO WORK OFF MY 13INCH SCREEN MAC BOOK. BECAUSE IT IS REALLY LITTLE BUT FIREWIRE IN IS NOT GOOD SOUND. IS THERE SOME ONE AT SWEETWATER THAT CAN HELP ME GET THE DECK WORKING RIGHT B IS THE ONLY THAT BOTH CHANNEL LIGHT UP. A,C,D ONLY THE LEFT WORK. NOT THE RIGHT. WHAT COULD MAKE IT DO THAT. WHY DOES IT ONLY SEND TO ONE SIDE. ?
August 4, 2010 @03:55am
william

I am down to trying to decide when I upgrade my studio to the Mackie Onyx 1640i or the PreSonus Studio Live 24.4.2. I know that the Onyx is an analog machine that links to the computer digitally and I know that the PreSonus is all digital but beyond that I cant decide which is better. One of my primary concerns is that the Onyx only has 16 inputs versus the PreSonus having 24. But, I ask you experts, where would you invest?
August 6, 2010 @05:37pm
Wired4Sound

If anyone can help it would be great my band just bought a Onyx 1640i and we can't figure out how to link it with FW into sonar 8. We did this so we can record each drum mic in a seperate channel in the recording software, but can't seem to get it to work. I've searched the net looking for answers. and now this forum is hopefully gonna be help. If anyone has used an Onyx 1640i w/ sonar 8 and has any advice that will help please tell me what you had to do. again we are trying to link a Mackie Onyx 1640i w/ Sonar 8 one a Toshiba, w/ Windows Vista. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Wired4Sound
May 17, 2011 @07:45pm
mixmastermikefarish

I have an Onyx 1640 and for some reason the left main side of the board will not send signal on an intermittent period of time, it will not work then a few minutes later the left out will work but then the right out won't work.
and then they both will work?
I have had the board serviced twice with this same problem but it never gets resolved. is there a cause for this malfunction and if so what is the remedy?
Thanks
April 4, 2012 @05:36pm