0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
February Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Sound card problems?

ChooChoo

Ever so often, I can't get Windows Media Player to play through my monitors. My Pro Tools recordings will, but nothing else. I've gone to Control Panel, then to Sounds and Audio Devices. I've tried all different kinds of configurations, but still can't hear anything out of my monitors. They're hooked up to my MBox2. I did import a WAV file from my ZoomQ3 portable recorder into ProTools, but that's the only different thing I've done. My iTunes player isn't set to be my default player, and I can't find anything on Windows Media Player that lets me set it as my default. What am I missing?
April 25, 2010 @10:39pm
ChooChoo

I haven't been able to hear sound through my monitors (connected to the MBox2), except for ProTools files which play through my monitors correctly. I checked in the Digidesign Documentation, Windows Audio Driver guide, and went through all the steps for configuring Direct Sound Driver for Windows Media Player and for the QuickTime Player (for iTunes), and after all that, it may be a "Adding Third-Party Applications to the Application Access List" job. However, the instructions say to be sure you follow all the directions carefully, and I'm not sure I should attempt it. I'm afraid I might really mess something up! Is this something tech support can help me with -- can they walk me through the steps? Thanks for any help!
April 26, 2010 @12:36am
Justin

Digidesign interfaces have custom drivers that only work for ProTools.
They ship with some generic drivers that sort of work for normal Windows use, but unfortunately those workaround drivers aren't well supported in Windows.
Most people end up using the built in sound for things like iTunes & DVD Playback.
April 26, 2010 @05:48pm