rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Help me design my IEM system. Any suggestions?

EvinBrady

What are some other 12-aux IEM board option's I've been having trouble finding other boards to compare to the A&H WZ 12M, APB Dynasonics ProRack-Monitor, Crest XRM, I can't really find other options. I know I want a good monitor board because it would kind of defy the point to have good IEM without the board.
Also what are some other good components that I would need to get to make the transition to IEM. I'm looking at one of the mixers above(or another alt.) and sennheiser IEM(because of more RF option) with custom molds from Westone. What kind of limiter, compressor, splitter, EQ whatever I need. I might have a sponsor so I'm looking at the best quality stuff total budget about 6K-8K-10K some where in there.
April 21, 2010 @03:56pm
TimmyP1955

That's pretty much it for small format monitor boards. The next step is the A&H GL2800M. Or w/o a built-in splitter, the LS9 (which has a number of advantages, but those advantages cost a lot of money).
I agree with the Sennheiser RF.
Many folks get along just fine with no extras. Some like reverb (built into the LS9). Some like compression and/or gates (built into the LS9). Some like EQ on their mix (built into the LS9).
Some folks like to hear themselves w/o compression but their bandmates with compression, which means splitting sources to two channels (which requires extra cables and eats channels fast on a 16 ch mixer). The LS9 takes care of this, as there's a second set of 16 channels (they just don't have separate input preamps).
If you use your own mic package when you are headlining but have to use another package when you are the opener, with the LS9 you can save each mix as a scene, so after tweaking the first time, swapping between mic packages just takes a few button pushes.
Splitter for use with LS9: http://www.audiopile.net/products/Stagelink_snakes/Poorman_splitter_snakes/PSX-S_poorman_spliter_snakes_cutsheet.shtml (they have good racks too).
April 22, 2010 @04:42am
Live Sound Audio

I know a few people who use the Crest and it's very solid. They like it.
April 29, 2010 @12:00am
BC in CA

I'm intrigued by the new Movek MyMix system that Sweetwater sells. You'd need a splitter(s), Movek's 16ch piece (forgot the model), a hub and one of Movek's small "mixer" thingy for each player, which mounts on a mic stand.
Not sure how it sounds, but it looks interesting anyway.
Good luck.
BC
April 13, 2011 @02:11am
FrankW

I use the A&H mixer and also agree with the Sennheisers. We have four vocalists and added a Lexicon MX400 to give some reverb and delay in the mix in our ears with great results in one rack unit.
July 7, 2011 @02:12am
TimmyP1955

If you will have a dedicated monitor mixperson, the Shure 1000 will have a big advantage: There's an 'engineer' option on the pack that enables the mixperson's pack to scroll through the frequencies that are being used by the band, so s/he can easily listen to the mixes post transmitters.
July 7, 2011 @04:02am