0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 4

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Pro Tools vs. Digital Performer

wilyathule

I want to buy some DAW software but I'm having a hard time choosing between Digidesign's Pro Tools and MOTU's Digital Performer. Any advice? The plan is to do a lot of MIDI work as well as audio recording.
April 20, 2010 @03:41am
cmchamp

If you do a search on ProTools and Digital Performer, you'll find a number of previous discussions on this topic. I have been using Performer/Digital Performer for the past 24 years or so. In the work I do, which is arrangements for school band, multi-track ensemble recording, on-site recording, etc. I have found no reason to change. Vocal, Instrumental, orchestral, classical, jazz, folk, southern gospel are the types of work I do, and no complaints or reasons to change.
April 20, 2010 @10:41am
Andrew_Malloy

Honestly, there isn't a reason to not have or know both. They have their place, they operate differently, they have vastly different advantages.
That being said, what is important to you?
April 20, 2010 @01:25pm
joelsampson

Try Reaper, free to try for 30 days and only $60 for the license.
www.reaper.fm
May 1, 2010 @12:12am
LASERDOG

MOTU's Tech Support is HORRIBLE!!! & disgraceful for a company with a long time in the recording software biz. The support phone line is always busy. It took me 2 months to get through one time & usually give up after redialing all day. And the Techs are not friendly, they rush you through and treat you like your stupid for calling in, seriously, i am not just making this up or trying to B**ch. I have DP6, Symphonic Instruments, & BPM. I am selling all my MOTU gear and going to either, APPLE LOGIC or Cubase5. I have tried to phone corporate, but the female who answers says I have to call the Support line. I am not Computer illiterate. I am a published Composer for Film & T.V., just need some help with a few problems with my MOTU products. I use CUBASE LE which came with my Lexicon Omega Interface, very easy to use & great plug ins, then I record my mixes to a C.D. recorder to send to my Publisher.:)
May 11, 2010 @11:24pm
rhodeschroma

MOTU's Tech Support is HORRIBLE!!! & disgraceful for a company with a long time in the recording software biz. The support phone line is always busy. It took me 2 months to get through one time & usually give up after redialing all day. And the Techs are not friendly, they rush you through and treat you like your stupid for calling in, seriously, i am not just making this up or trying to B**ch. I have DP6, Symphonic Instruments, & BPM. I am selling all my MOTU gear and going to either, APPLE LOGIC or Cubase5. I have tried to phone corporate, but the female who answers says I have to call the Support line. I am not Computer illiterate. I am a published Composer for Film & T.V., just need some help with a few problems with my MOTU products. I use CUBASE LE which came with my Lexicon Omega Interface, very easy to use & great plug ins, then I record my mixes to a C.D. recorder to send to my Publisher.:)

Completely agreed - MOTU's tech support is the worst I've experienced in the industry. I've been a 20+ year user of DP, and have a bunch of MTP AV USBs, and a few 2408s. The support is awful, terrible, foul, and every other negative I could say. It's only my investment in the DAW that has kept me using their product or I would've long ago left them in the dust.
-J
May 12, 2010 @02:10am
DAS

If you bought DP from us just give our tech support guys a call. They can take care of you, and I know they have some back door numbers into companies we deal with for the really weird/tough problems. We've been supporting DP since its inception.
May 12, 2010 @11:40am
mboss

I've produced several CD's over the past 10 years using DP and the biggest problem I seem to run into with DP is trying to get a good mix when doing all mixing "in the box". Some of my best mixes today were done on a basic 16 channel analog board and ran through an apogee converter. They almost always sound better than in the box. I did have some good results in DP after dumping 10 analog tracks down to digital stereo track and then adding a couple more digital vocal tracks before dumping to disk, but still had to rely on some analog gear to get a good mix. A friend of mine also experienced the same problem when trying to record his band using DP. For some reason, the mixes simply sound flat when you start combining a lot of digital tracks and dumping them down to a stereo master in DP.
I really wasn't convinced this was a DP problem until I read another post by a professional producer that had used 9 different studio configurations over the years. One of his 9 configs was doing in the box mixing using DP and he said that he got terrible mixes. He also said that he got surprisingly good mixes when using some of the Yamaha digital mixers though.
I still love DP and will continue to use it, but I'm definitely hanging on to my analog mixer and combining my tracks on that instead of letting DP do the combining.
I'd love to hear what other types of mix results people have had using all analog, hybrid, or totally in the box with DP as the workhorse.
July 8, 2010 @10:26pm
DAS

While I do sometimes use an outboard (analog) mixer, I can get good mixes in the box. It just depends on what I'm looking for. I do not use DP to mix, but that shouldn't make any difference. I know a lot of folks get very gripped about the alleged sonic differences of different mix engines, but thorough testing will prove that all of the DAW platforms are capable of adding up the numbers more or less equally. Sometimes I think it's plug-ins and/or the UI that lead us astray when working. Sometimes I just like the (subtle) distortion and coloration a real, analog mixer imparts on the sound. For me there isn't anything really wrong with mixing in the box. I do it all the time with good results. I am very selective about which plug-ins I use.
July 9, 2010 @06:12pm