rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Pro Tools 8 on Creation Station CPU running at 100% with Plug-ins

4075aaron

Hi...I have Kyle at Sweetwater working on this, but I thought I might have luck on the threads as well.
I recently picked up an older Creation Station (rack unit, Pent. 4 3.20 GHz, XP Home edition, 2.50 GB of RAM, three hard drives) and was able to install Pro Tools 8 (Factory) with no issues. I can record tracks also with no problem...but if I start to add RTAS plug-ins, or if I try to record using one of the virtual instruments, the CPU usage skyrockets...if I try two RTAS's, it goes to about 90% and Pro Tools starts to give me errors. If I add any more, Pro Tools becomes pretty much unresponsive and useless.
I found that if I add the RTAS plug-ins to only one recorded track, I can generally add four before the system starts to crash.
I tried everything Kyle told me to do...ran through the list to max my systems usage, but nothing is really helping. I am almost to the point of buying PT 7.4 and trying that.
I read that this problem can sometimes be solved by changing the number of processors the RTAS's use (from two to one), but when I open this option in the Playback engine, th 1 Processor option is darkened out and I can choose it.
Thoughts?
April 6, 2010 @09:50pm
Tony Nesci

I was warned about this very same problem when I was pricing stuff and getting ready to "see my bank manager"...so I bit the bullit and got an 8 core MacPro. Everything from my PT 8.03 HD is instanteneous. I'm talking...speed of light.:):):)
T
April 17, 2010 @10:03pm
4075aaron

I was unable to get PT 8 to work well on the computer...very frustrating considering how much I spent on all of the gear. I ended up picking up a copy of PT 7.4 and it works fine, but now I don't get all of the extras that come with 8. I guess I will have to save up my money and pick up a Mac at some point.
Very upsetting.
April 18, 2010 @08:44pm
Justin

Does the problem only happen with the VI's or any RTAS plugins?
The new VI's in PT8 can use up a lot of CPU and RAM.
April 19, 2010 @01:37pm
4075aaron

I had problems with both VIs and RTAS plug-ins...but it was worse with the plug-ins. No particular plug-in...I tried tons of combos and tried moving them into and out of the plug-ins not used folder. Once I got to three plug ins (any combo of any three) the computer would start to really slow down (and CPU usage would shoot up to 90% or more), and the 4th (any 4th) would push it to a constant 100%. Even if the recording was not being played!
I never tried more than two VIs at one time...did not slow down as much as two plug-ins.
Even if I tried to use Reason to record and bring the Reason tracks into PT (I would need to add Reason to each track I was tring to bounce to)...more than four and the computer would become unresponsive. Reason worked fine with up to 12 tracks by itself.
7.4...no issues at all. I have recorded a bunch of drum tracks in Reason (8 tracks) and easlily added them to songs that already had 6 tracks and added a ton of RTAS plug-ins.
I wish I could still use the VIs that came with PT 8...I heard of ways to use them with 7.4, but I can't figure it out. I don't want to deal with having two operating systems on my computer...I did figure out how to keep the RTASs from PT8 and use the in 7.4. I can use them with no issues (any number...including adding Eleven and all sorts of reverbs to all tracks...CPU spikes at about 35% usage). I really bought PT 8 (and the Creation Station, unfortunately) for the VIs which I can't now use. I guess I need to throw more money at it to either get the same VIs on a seperate software bundle, or buy a better computer at some point and scratch 7.4...but at this point, I don't feel like spending more money on this project.
April 21, 2010 @02:35am
dpd

What sample rate? I have same vintage CS as you and even with 7.x I can't run much above 44.1. At 44.1, no worries with RTAS
April 21, 2010 @03:22am
4075aaron

44.1 is all I tried. I could not even imagine a higher rate!
April 22, 2010 @12:43am