0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Roland vs korg vs yamaha

aaron

Hi guys,
I'm only an amateur keyboard player and I need some advice. I am looking for a new keyboard like the korg pa50, roland gw7 or gw8 or the yamaha psr-2100.
I am interested in good quality of tones and sounds especially pianos, strings and organs. I'm not very particular about number of features.
It would be used only for live playing in my church.
I would like to know which keyboard would give the best quality sounds (less distortion etc). I want it to sound good during live performance.
Thanks.
February 20, 2010 @09:33am
Synthologist

Will you be playing along with other musicians?
Are there any pro music stores nearby where you can audition these (and other) keyboards?
February 20, 2010 @03:49pm
aaron

Yes, I will be playing along with drums and a bass guitar.
Unfortunately there are no pro audio stores in my town for me to hear the boards for myself and decide.
I have to decide and order the keyboard directly.
That's why I would like your advice on this matter.
February 21, 2010 @03:49pm
Synthologist

Have you considered something like the Yamaha S70 XS? It's a more professional unit with 76 weighted keys.
Depending on the distance, it would be well worth it for you to drive an hour or two to audition a keyboard. You really want to buy something you feel comfortable with...
By the way--a few of the keyboards you listed have been discontinued, so unless you prefer buying used, they would no longer be available.
February 22, 2010 @07:31pm
miket156

Any auto accompaniment instrument, like the Yamaha PSR series is not a good choice if you are going to be working with a bass player and a drummer. You will have players to provide that side of the musical performance. You will be better off with the S70 XS as Synthologist suggested, or some other professional level instrument. You didn't mention any price range, but if you are sure you are going to be using your instrument over a long period of time, it would be better to get something better the first time, so there won't be a second time. Buying entry level equipment is OK for the home buyer, but it sounds like you have something more professional in the works.
Mike T.
March 16, 2010 @02:14am
Synthologist

Original poster seems to be long gone.
March 18, 2010 @03:07pm
miket156

Yep, but thanks for your suggestion for this poster, it was a good suggestion.
Mike T.
March 18, 2010 @03:48pm
Synthologist

I guess it's normal for people to post here once or twice and never return.
March 20, 2010 @01:56pm
miket156

Yep, this site doesn't have a ton of activity. Sometimes I post something to a thread and there is no response, or a response by someone much later. I like this site because many times players get into a discussion about prices and Sweetwater has the most up to date price lists posted of any site that I know of. They also moderate this site. So there's accurate prices and if anyone gets out of hand, there are moderators available. I'd like to see more people use this site.
Question, do you have a Yamaha S90xs or S70xs board? If so, how do you like it? Is it easy to skip around on it for live work? Curious.
Mike T.
March 20, 2010 @05:54pm
Synthologist

No I don't own either keyboard, but have read great reviews. I'm currently using a Korg M3 for my live work.
March 20, 2010 @06:30pm
miket156

An M3? At one time I had considered getting a 73 key M3, I like Korg's C to C setup. What KB size do you have with it? How do you like your M3? What kind of music do you use it for>
Mike T.
March 20, 2010 @08:43pm
Synthologist

I perform original synth/electronic and new age music live with a Korg M3 and Triton--both with 61 keys.
The KARMA feature is what attracted me to the M3. I like having a keyboard that can produce unusual textures and rhythms... along with drum tracks. Many people are overwhelmed by KARMA, but for the type of music I play--it's perfect.
March 20, 2010 @11:38pm
miket156

Its great when you buy a piece of equipment and you're happy with it. How's the sequencer on it? Is it easy to use? Did you buy it from a national or a regional dealer? Sometimes the local guys are more aggressive on price than the national music dealers.
Cheers,
Mike T.
March 21, 2010 @12:19am
Synthologist

The sequencer is easy to use once you get the hang of it. I had a Triton before the M3, so the transition was easy... and I love the touch screen.
I've bought gear from Guitar Center recently because of their big sales. Many "mom and pop" stores don't carry pro keyboards, so if you want to buy from them, they have to order what you want--with not much break on the price.
:(
March 21, 2010 @04:26pm
miket156

Wow, Guitar Center. Not for me. We don't have any GC where I live and I don't buy anything from them on-line. You're right about mom and pop stores. They are usually small and don't carry very much; not much variety. There is a regional store that I've bought from over the years, but they only handle Yamaha. I've bought a synth, stands, cables (on the same order) from Sweetwater and I was satisfied with the deal once it was all totaled up; got free shipping, and received my order in less than 48 hours! Latest OS on the board, everything brand new in the box. I'm particular about my equipment. Most of what I buy stays. I have some equipment since the seventies and eighties that still works fine. I buy flight cases for keys and do my own roadie work, so my equipment is handled with kid-gloves. Picky, picky, picky. My back doesn't care for the flight cases and the weight of the KB's.
I'm interested in what you have to say about the M3. It looks like a user-friendly interface. I like their C to C KB set up too.
I've been looking at the Korg SV-1, appears to be a turn key board for gigs. I don't play out much anymore, so it would be a waste to buy anything anymore. I'd love to try one and then think of a reason to buy it anyway!
Later,
Mike T.
March 21, 2010 @06:25pm