0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 & Logic 9?

JMH2950

I'm thinking about getting the Focusrite Saffire 56. I will be using IMac 27 - I7 core and Logic 9. Does anyone know if this interface runs well in Logic 9?
I was comparing this to Apogee Ensemble. Apogee has rave reviews but a little $ for me at the moment. Was hoping that this would be a step up from my DIGI 002. Let me know what ya think...
January 22, 2010 @03:32pm
Lambo

I'd caution you on buying the Focusrite. I have the Focusrite Saffire PRO 26i/o which has rarely been used in the two years I've had it. The firewire port is shot and the estimated cost to repair it is $300. I have gear (Yamaha, Roland, Ensoniq) 20 years old that I've powered up on a regular basis that has never given me a bit of trouble.
January 26, 2010 @11:55pm
tmarkov1

The Focusrite units don't have firewire ports that just stop working. The firewire ports usually stop functioning because of an improper connecting or disconnecting procedure. The standard method of connecting a firewire audio interface is and has always been to power the unit and the computer down before connecting and disconnecting the unit.
February 1, 2010 @02:37am
Lambo

The Focusrite units don't have firewire ports that just stop working. The firewire ports usually stop functioning because of an improper connecting or disconnecting procedure. The standard method of connecting a firewire audio interface is and has always been to power the unit and the computer down before connecting and disconnecting the unit.

Thanks! I'll copy and forward your post to the Focusrite Technician who diagnosed the problem with my unit. Sounds like an employment opportunity for you if you're looking.
February 1, 2010 @05:09pm
yeahforbes

The IEEE 1394 spec indicates that hot swapping is a design feature. I can understand that some devices may require a reboot or whatever, but if it causes them to fail that is some seriously crappy design and improper implementation of a standard.
February 1, 2010 @06:15pm
JMH2950

Well, I was hoping to get a little more info from this post. Does anyone have any experience with the Saffire 56 at all. With or without Logic I would just like some more feedback on this piece of gear.
Thanks.
February 5, 2010 @01:03am
mjames4208

just got mine this week.... i'm installing it today....
i'll post a review if i get a chance to....
one thing about it though. it's built like a tank... not cheap plastic
like everyone is building nowadays
February 13, 2010 @03:31pm
JMH2950

mjames...Just checkin in to see how you like your Saffire 56, post a review if you don't mind...
February 18, 2010 @01:55am
ghbmusic

As opposed to every other post I am actually using the 56 liquid. Not an earlier (focusrite admitted) inferior interface. It is rock solid with Logic Pro 8. The software control interface takes a bit of getting used to and is less than intuitive but there are an abundance of tutorials on the focusrite web site to get you through.
I have not used it with 9 yet and according to more than one source I know it is incompatable under the 64 bit snow leopard option. I actually hooked up an additional saffire pro 40 that i borrowed from a buddy to get me an additional 8 inputs. Through the adat optical interfaces it worked flawlessly.
Not only am I blow away by the liquid channel options the quality of the converters are incredible for the money and BTW the additional pre amps are......... yea FOCUSRITE.
I am going to get a MKII octopre dynamic to go with the 56 and there will be little I cant record live!
March 7, 2010 @01:43am
Lambo

As opposed to every other post I am actually using the 56 liquid. Not an earlier (focusrite admitted) inferior interface. It is rock solid with Logic Pro 8. The software control interface takes a bit of getting used to and is less than intuitive but there are an abundance of tutorials on the focusrite web site to get you through.
I have not used it with 9 yet and according to more than one source I know it is incompatable under the 64 bit snow leopard option. I actually hooked up an additional saffire pro 40 that i borrowed from a buddy to get me an additional 8 inputs. Through the adat optical interfaces it worked flawlessly.
Not only am I blow away by the liquid channel options the quality of the converters are incredible for the money and BTW the additional pre amps are......... yea FOCUSRITE.
I am going to get a MKII octopre dynamic to go with the 56 and there will be little I cant record live!

Are you using the firewire connection? That seems to be the weak sister to an otherwise pretty amazing interface. Just put $300 aside for the repair cost and keep the address of the repair center in Nevada handy and life will be good.
March 7, 2010 @10:45am
ghbmusic

Firewire is the only interface. You were not using a saffire 56 right?
March 14, 2010 @12:33am
Lambo

Firewire is the only interface. You were not using a saffire 56 right?

My friend bought one (wanted to best mine) after I bought my 26i/o and his firewire went out too. Don't get me wrong, my friend bought his after listening to mine because it is a great sounding interface. It's just that firewire isn't its strong suit and isn't cheap to have repaired. Hopefully you won't experience the same firewire problems.
March 14, 2010 @12:48am
scottmo

i just have to say dont go with focusrite right now. it is good quality but cheap parts. i hear of everything breaking on them from clients. phantom power dying on them, multiple i/o ports breaking real easy and not from improper use, and my focusrite octopre had to be sent in because the pre amps broke. yeah the pre amps on a pre amp broke. they used to be high in my list of manufactures but not in today's day and age
March 17, 2010 @02:22am