0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 2

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

SM57 for live recording?

osu122975

I wonder.....
Anyone ever tried to put an SM57 in front of a main speaker for a live mix to get a live recording? Similar to how a guitar amp is recorded in a studio....
Any input on this technique or what it may do?
January 7, 2010 @02:27pm
yeahforbes

Main speakers have separate drivers for different frequency bands (woofer, tweeter) and to capture both well the mic would have to be a few feet away, as opposed to a guitar speaker where all frequencies come out of every driver.
You would end up with a result very similar to recording direct from the mixer, but with much less quality, so I'm not sure I see the point. If you're avoiding direct in order to allow ambient sound (crowd, non-miked instruments) to bleed in, a better way is to get a pair of small diaphragm condensers and a stereo bar (XY technique) and put it much farther from the speakers... typically near the FOH engineer. There are some good portable, battery-powered devices that do exactly this. Tascam, Zoom, Edirol, etc.
January 7, 2010 @05:23pm
osu122975

Our ceilings are about 30 ft high. We have a centrally located main w/ three 6 inch speakers. I have used the Audio Technica Pro 37 small condensers in XY pattern about 10 ft from the main. It sounds just ok.
Our FOH is at the same height as the main coming down from the ceiling. The FOH is basically in a loft above everyone else so it's hard I believe to get an accurate mix in comparison to where the congregation is at.
I just bought a Zoom H4N a few days ago. I may try and place it at the FOH and see what happens.
I have also tried the direct outs for each channel from the live mixer to a mixer I use for a recording mix and then into my recorder as a two track mix. It sounds pretty good except I need to get the electronic drums under control on the kick. I get a lot of distortion at times. I monitor w/ MTH40 headphones at my recorder. I use a Boss BR600.
January 7, 2010 @08:14pm