rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

GLS Microphones

jackthejesusfreak

I'm going out on a limb here with this question and before the gearheads start bombarding me with how useless it is to buy clone Shure microphones, I just want to say I know you get what you pay for and that Shure is the standard, nothing can compare to them, why waste your 30 dollars on GLS etc etc.
I would like to hear from anyone, if there are such folk, who has, in fact, ever owned a GLS 57 or 58. Not someone that knew somebody that had one, but anyone that has ever owned one. Reviews?
I know what the reviews say at speakerrepair.com, but I also know reviews can be bias and skewed to fit the needs of the company producing and promoting the product.
Jack
January 6, 2010 @10:30pm
Ted

I don't know anything about these particular microphones, but I do understand why you're skeptical about them being biased towards their own products. I would expect anyone to be that way, but I'm very skeptical of their statement that the microphones are "exactly" like the Shure equivalents. If Shure themselves can't make a microphone that sounds just like the SM57 for less (their budget PG57 is close, but even they don't claim that it's the same) I'm not sure how reasonable it is to expect someone else to be able to. Having said that, though, again, I've never used these microphones.
I'm also skeptical about their "In the history of us selling the GLS Audio Microphones we have never had even one single customer that did not like them" claim...I'm pretty sure that we've sold more of the "real thing" than they have their replicas, and we've certainly had people who don't like them. I would say that's the case for pretty much every product that we sell...no one microphone can be all things to everyone.
January 6, 2010 @10:54pm