0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 3

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Do ALL headphones come standard w/ 1/8in jacks!?

InHouseEnt

I'm kinda ill cause i used to have a pair of koss headphones that had a standard 1/8" jack on them, the standard plugin to pc's and pretty much any cd player, etc.
I was wondering, if you buy a set of AKG or Sennheiser or perhaps even Sony headphones, are ALL these 1/8" as well?
Reason i ask is i have the delta 44 and i used to have a pair of cheap koss headphones, the headphones, whether cheap or not though weren't at fault. It was the fault of having to run a 1/4 adapter to the d44 i believe. You would go in the booth and the sound would only come out of one phone, so, you'd have to wiggle the adapter or the main h-phone plug ever so slightly to catch the right spot.
I want 2 avoid this and possibly get a set of phones with a 1/4" trs jack that will plug STRAIGHT in no adapter needed. Is this not possible? I'm seeing alot of these headphones with the 1/8 standard.
What gives!?
December 23, 2009 @01:27pm
InHouseEnt

Feel free to also give suggestions on headphones up to $50 range for playing instrumentals basically to record to. Need a closed cup design to encase most or all the ear.
December 23, 2009 @01:28pm
DAS

Not all, but nearly all headphones come with a 1/8" jack, and include an adaptor to take that up to 1/4". I would be hard pressed to think of one sub $50 headphone that's not configured this way.
December 23, 2009 @02:03pm
Ted

The only headphones I know of offhand that have a 1/4" plug standard are Audio Technica's ATHM40 headphones (along with the ATHD40) but they're a bit more than $50.
December 23, 2009 @02:29pm
jpleong

I was wondering, if you buy a set of AKG or Sennheiser or perhaps even Sony headphones, are ALL these 1/8" as well?

All of these, yes. Some, like much of the Sony line of professional headphones and the new Shure line, come with a screw-locking adapter that should make this less of a problem. I've been known, in the past, to Gaff-tape these locking connectors.
JP
December 23, 2009 @03:30pm
SoloArtist

Not all, but nearly all headphones come with a 1/8" jack, and include an adaptor to take that up to 1/4". I would be hard pressed to think of one sub $50 headphone that's not configured this way.

Absolutely. I have the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's which are configured just that way. 1/8 jack fits my iPod and the 1/4 inch adaptor fits right over that. Right now, I would look around for some sales as you might be able to get them at a discount.
January 6, 2010 @07:57pm