0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

what distortion/overdrive should i get

978musicman

i want to get a overdrive or distortion pedal thats versatile but I don't know what to get these are my options.
vox satorator
vox over the top boost
digitech hardwire tube overdrive
ibanez ts7
big muff pi
November 12, 2009 @01:41am
cringer

i want to get a overdrive or distortion pedal thats versatile but I don't know what to get these are my options.
vox satorator
vox over the top boost
digitech hardwire tube overdrive
ibanez ts7
big muff pi

Not trying to be flip or anything... but you're asking a completely subjective question that really only you know the answer to.
How do you know the answer? go to your local music store and play the options. See which one gives you the most "versatility" or whatever else you seek out of a your new pedal... that's the right one for you.
FWIW - I had an ibanez distortion pedal many many years ago, and the only reason I remember it is because it sucked --- really bad. Maybe they've changed, improved, maybe they're made by somebody else now... who knows? but the ibanez I had was laughable. Again, was a long time ago.
Have you looked into Boss? They have a lot of single pedals in the distortion/overdrive category... http://www.bossus.com/gear/productlist.php?ParentId=254
and the OD-20 - a twin distortion modelling pedal, that might be an option for you http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=164&ParentId=260
November 12, 2009 @06:19pm
Audioholic

Visual Sound Jeckl/hyde
has both a TS type of overdrive and a good distortion sound in the same pedal, sounds great!
November 13, 2009 @05:01am
anotherfender

best thing to do, test any pedal with your guitar/amp..tone/sound etc is all very subjective
I like my Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic, if you want heavy metal distortion/overdrive it's probably not quite enough
you can also try reading customer reviews of the different pedals, but hearing them is the best way to choose. You Tube clips have variable sound quality, the sounds on the manufacturer sites are usually better
there's probably a reason there are SO MANY pedals out there
good luck !!
November 14, 2009 @08:39pm
CharlieG

Try ProCo's Turbo Rat. its an excellent pedal. my personal favorite
November 15, 2009 @07:03pm
jdesola

See, I like the TS7, where some other guys don't. I would say that, since you're asking which OD to buy, you need something that's a long term staple of musicians. The TS7 is a versatile overdrive that can add musical gain to most tube amps.
Your other options are all good pedals but, for example, the Big Muff isn't an overdrive at all. It's a fuzz pedal. The Digitech would likely be versatile as well but I don't typically like their products, personally. Vox has a specific voice that you may or may not like.
Still, the best advice has been given. Go and test the pedals yourself and let your ear tell you what's right.
November 18, 2009 @03:30pm
beckmeister1@charter.net

After using scores of pedals over the years I can't say enough about the Boss Blues Driver, which is a great overdrive pedal on its own...But - with the Robert Keeley modification added, which costs an additional $75 or so, it is astonishing! It adds color and power but preserves the pristine tone of the guitar. The mod includes a "fat" switch which allows a bit of tweaking beyond the driver controls. Very nice!!
July 21, 2011 @10:31pm
rajohnson78

I guess there are a few things needed first....
What kind of music do you play? Are you trying to get more of an overdrive or heavier distortion sound from the pedal? Do you want versatility? What's your price range?
Most pedals react good or bad based on the amp you're playing and your guitar as well. Do you use a tube amp or not? I say this because I've had some distortion/OD pedals that sounded fabulous through my Soldano head and absolutely terrible through my solid state Lab Series amp.
The best thing to do, as stated previously, is to go to your local guitar shop, grab a bunch of pedals (even ones you didn't mention) and A-B (C-D-etc) them. I did this recently myself and realized the pedal I wanted (Fulltone OCD) didn't sound as good in my rig as a Plimsoul or Way Huge Green Rhino did. Don't look at the name, just listen to the sound.
July 22, 2011 @04:50pm