0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound - 2 days left

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Keyboard using virtual instruments with no computer?

cattivo

Hey,
I'm looking for some advice on a new keyboard - if such a product even exists. For recording purposes I use a small midi keyboard to access the thousands of virtual instrument sounds I have (such as those from Pro-Tools, Garageband, and others).
What I'm looking for is a keyboard for Live performance, that can store those sounds and play them directly - WITHOUT the need to have the keyboard connected to a computer on stage. I have very bad luck with computers freezing/etc, getting liquor spilled on them, knocking them down, etc. I am trying to avoid having a laptop on stage.
Is there any such keyboard that will just store whatever virtual instrument sounds I wish to have on it and play them directly?
THanks in advance for your help!
November 5, 2009 @05:30pm
DAS

Not exactly. But you can get close as long as you're willing to somewhat limit your selections of VI's to ones that will work on a given platform. The most robust system for this is the Muse Research stuff.
http://www.sweetwater.com/c504--Muse_Research--Sound_Modules
This is what most of the touring pros who don't carry computers with them use.
There is also the Neko keyboard, which has some interesting capabilities as well, but I don't think is as robust as a live platform.
November 5, 2009 @06:32pm
Synthologist

There is also the Neko keyboard,

Open Labs website--for more information:
http://www.openlabs.com/
November 5, 2009 @06:37pm
cattivo

thanks both - I'll be looking into them.
November 5, 2009 @07:17pm
michaelhoddy

Had the Muse, now have the Open Labs Miko.
If you just need to run a couple VI's and Muse supports them, the Receptor is handy- it's compact and stable. I used it for running Ivory with success.
However, if you want to radically customize your setup, run any instrument, and be able to tweak in real time, the Open Labs Miko or Neko are really hard to beat. "Tweakability" is the main reason I moved to the Miko, and it's been really great: well thought out, stable, easy to use.
As far as overall robustness, in my experience, the Miko has proven more stable than the Receptor, which was far more prone to glitch uncontrollably under heavy CPU loads and smaller buffers. Mine also had a power supply which didn't appreciate line voltages under about 115 VAC. But overall, the Receptor was pretty reliable. The Miko has been rock solid- Open Labs' software is well-written, and as long as you don't load it up with apps that affect the stability of Windows, you're fine.
November 5, 2009 @10:03pm
cattivo

thanks for the replys, these options, unfortunately, are out of my budget.
What would be ideal (for now) would be to continue using my Roland Fantom - and be able to just add some VI's that can play in real time. BUt I guess without Roland making some sort of software to play them inside the Fantom, it's not possible.
the niko looks awesome - just don't have that kind of flow right now.
November 5, 2009 @10:10pm