We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

What does an "audioboxUsb" do?

mhagstad

I went to Sweetwater and told them I wanted to record my dp onto my computer to use as feedback, and maybe someday send recordings to family.
I'm a 63 yo dp beginner with virtually no saavy about computers.
The nice man said that what I really needed was an Audiobox usb (all I had intended to buy were some cables). So that's what I got.
I have been wrestling with this thing for a month or so now. I have no idea what its even supposed to do, so I have do idea if its doing it. There were no instructions other than a large diagram of various things to plug into it.
The software included(which seemed to be what the "nice man" was mostly enthusiastic about) is not the software that is advertized on the box nor that for which instructions were provided (its StudioOne instead of Cubase LE4).
So what does an AudioboxUsb actually do? Anything? I'm hoping its something really good, and related to recording using my computer. But I've found free software that lets me do that by hooking my board to the computer directly. I went to Radio Shack and got the cables I needed.
Incidentally, the very large StudioOne software package managed to earn me a "blue screen of death" twice so far when I was trying to figure out what it does. So I don't fool with that anymore. I suspect that my computer, like me, is too old to handle this stuff, given its specs.
Any suggestions (well, polite ones anyway) would be appreciated.
October 29, 2009 @04:12am
Justin

The AudioBox USB is an audio interface.
While your computer probably has a sound input and output, those jacks are designed for hooking up to desktop speakers or headphones, and the input jacks are meant to record from things like home stereos or internet chat headsets. You may be able to record your digital piano with it, but they're not really designed for that, and they don't come with software for making music.
The AudioBox has the kinds of jacks a musician usually uses, 1/4 TRS jacks, and XLR mic inputs, and the accepts the signal level that your piano will put out without static or clipping.
The Audiobox used to come with Cubase 4 LE, but recently the manufacturer released their own software called Studio One that has more features than the "light" version of Cubase.
October 29, 2009 @03:20pm
mhagstad

Thank you, Arbiter.
I just want to make sure that I understand the information that you provided. The Audiobox provides for either a stronger or a cleaner (or both) signal to the computer from my keyboard, and it uses plugs that "are meant for" digital recording. Is that it? It doesn't do anything else?
So, if using 1/4 in cables from my board's line out, to the computer allows me to record without static and clipping to my satisfaction then I can just by-pass it. Right?
Maybe sometime in the future I will want to or try to do something that requires it.
Wish someone had told me before. But thanks for taking the time.
Mike H.
October 30, 2009 @03:33am
Joe Muscara

I just looked at the AudioBox USB and who makes it. That looks like a nice unit!
I'm sure your computer doesn't have XLR/mic inputs, nor MIDI jacks.
The former allows you to use a real microphone to record. You could then record vocals, acoustic guitars, mic a guitar or bass cabinet, etc.
The latter lets you record the MIDI info that your board outputs. Why would you want to do this? This allows you to record the notes you're playing without being attached to the sound itself. You can record yourself playing piano, and later decide to change the sound to a different piano or maybe a different instrument entirely. You could also easily edit the notes in your software. If you accidentally hit a wrong note, you can edit it out or change its value.
I know, you're saying I don't want to do any of that. I just want to record myself and if I get it wrong, I'll either live with it or do the whole thing over. There's nothing wrong with that. But say you decided to have your friend who plays guitar over and record the both of you at the same time. Listening back later, you found that you made such a mistake in an otherwise perfect take. Your friend has gone home and that mistake is staring at you. You can fix it and save your friend the trip.
If you're using the StudioOne software to record, then you probably got your money's worth anyway. If you're still trying to figure it out, go to http://www.presonus.com/ and download the manuals. They may also have info or an update that will fix your blue screen problem. You should contact their support if it continues.
October 30, 2009 @12:32pm
mhagstad

Joe M.
Thanks for your advice and suggestions. I really do appreciate anyone taking the time to respond to such a beginner. Perhaps you will be kind enough to indulge me a bit further.
I thought that I could get midi to my computer via USB plugs/cables. Not so? My MP5 dp has usb. I agree that, at some point being able to fiddle with a midi version of my "banging" might well be of interest. And if connecting the dp with the computer via usb won't provide this then this feature of the Audiobox alone would be worthwhile.
I went to Presonus site and downloaded the manual. Its mostly gibberish to me. I don't mean it isn't a good manual. I mean its not written in the "Dick and Jane" format that would be required for me to get the gist. BAsically, I'm still looking for a set of controls such as "stop", "record", "play, "fast rewind" etc.
I registered at their site and sent a set of questions to their tech help. I got no response. My own guess is that my computer is too limited to run this software. It is by far the single largest piece of software on my computer. But I can't find the system requirements for running the software.
Thank you again for your help.
Mike
October 30, 2009 @11:31pm
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!