0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Spring Clearance Last Chance

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Greetings to everyone and a little advice from the Gurus please!

Unclenabe

First of all i would like to extend my warmest greetings to all in this forum i came across it while watching the PreSonus videos on youtube.
Secondly i had a couple of questions with regards to drum miking and recording.
I have a standard 5 piece fusion setup (Sonor force 3007) with 10, 12 and 14 inch toms, 22" kick drum without a hole in the resonant head and a 14" snare. Along with that i have 2 standard crashes, a pair of hats, a splash, a cowbell and a ride cymbal.
I was doing some research into how i could possibly mike up the kit and do some recording and came up with the following ideas.
For the best bang for buck, i could use the following microphones:
4 x Shure SM57s (1 for each tom and snare top) @ USD$95.85 each (AUD$112)
Currently i'm a bit undecided on what additional microphones are needed and which models i should go with
I know that i need 2 Overhead condensers in a X/Y configuration, a snare bottom mike, a kick drum mike and a mike for the hi hats.
For the kick drum i've read that the Shure Beta 52 is pretty good as well as the AKG D112. Not too sure which one to choose or do you guys have anything else to recommend?
Another thing is that i'm not to sure what mixer to get as well.
I heard that the Presonus Studiolive 1642 digital mixer is pretty damn good and it is really easy to use as well? I'm willing to increase my budget on the mixer because i don't intend to change it for the next 10-15 years if possible and with 16 inputs it should be sufficient for drums, bass, guitar, keyboards and vocals.
Do you guys have any mixer board to recommend if the Studiolive is not suitable for my home studio?
And if i am able to afford the Audix DP8 studio Elite do you guys reckon it's overpriced and not worth the money and i'm better off using SM57s combined with other mics instead?
Thank you for your time and advice !!!
October 27, 2009 @12:22am
Krynos

In studio right now. Your drums will be the most important thing, how they sound. The right heads, right mic positioning, and the room. I'm using the Remo Power-stroke 3 and res head on my kick drum, Remo coated ambassador on my snare, and the Evans EC2 clear heads on my toms. It's a Pacific platinum maple drum kit. Sounds fantastic.
Mics,
Kick - Beat 91 inside, Beta 52 outside.
Snare - sm57 on bottom, Audix I5 on top
Rack Toms - Sennheiser MD421's
Floor Toms - AKG C 414's
Hi-Hat and Ride - CK1's
Overhead's - Blue Bottle's
Also, mic'd the room, with a Royer 121, Blue Bottle Studio condenser and two Blue Baby bottles in the corners.
October 28, 2009 @03:25pm