0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 5

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Sound Blaster 7.1 X-Fi Elite Pro or M-AUDIO 2496

jupiter1973

Hi all,
I was hoping if someone might be able to advise me on which soundcard I should purchase. Ideally I'm looking for a soundcard that I can do a bit of home-recording with - acoustic/electric guitar and flute mostly. Also playing VST instruments using Cubase.
I've been considering both the Sound Blaster 7.1 X-Fi Elite Pro and the long established M-AUDIO 2496. I've read a few negative things about the X-FI Elite Pro and as it costs so much more I'm thinking...is it really worth that extra money? Ok - it's got a fancy breakout box and remote control. But do I really need that extra stuff? I just need a soundcard that will allow me to do some decent quality recording.
I have been using the Creative Audigy2 for a number of years and was very happy with the sound quality. I don't need bells and whistles. Unfortunately my newly updated computer setup has a problem with this card - something to do with IRQ settings on the ASUS PQ5 Pro Turbo motherboard bios - and they are not re-configurable. Lots of static and crackling.
Any advice on a decent soundcard would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
October 16, 2009 @10:19pm
Andrew_Malloy

The M-Audio Delta cards are rock solid. That is quite an understatement, but it is very much so true. I still have a Delta 66 in my mastering system and it has been great. I kick myself for having bought the Aardvark audio card over the Delta way back in 2002 because I ultimately ended up with the Delta and was much happier for it.
October 16, 2009 @10:43pm
revert979

Did ya try the usual BS like updating the BIOS and/or sound card driver? Are you running Vista? If you are do you have alchemy installed? Not sure if any of that would make a difference, but it's always worth a shot.
Sorry, I know I didn't answer your original question. But I think Andrew has you covered on that one.
October 22, 2009 @11:42pm
Justin

You'll be much better served by a M-Audio card, or if you really like Creative, move up to an E-MU interface.
The Creative Labs stuff is consumer oriented, it's great for games or home theater applications, but not so good at recording and pro audio tasks.
The interfaces we carry will have drivers that support lower latencies, and are geared for hooking up instruments and mics, not home theater components.
October 23, 2009 @12:46pm
TimOBrien

Creative = Gamer
Go with the M-Audio...
October 23, 2009 @01:25pm