0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Church needing to buy a digital mixer

fayettevillechurch

Hi all,
We are a church looking to change over from a 36 channel anlog sound board to a digital mixer board.
At the present time we have our drums, keyboard, bass guiter along with two chor mics and six hand heald mics going through the system
What is the best digital system for the money, were looking to stay as cheap as we can.
October 6, 2009 @01:55am
michaelhoddy

Best bang for the buck is probably the Yamaha LS9-32. I install quite a few of these in churches who are upgrading from analog- it gets you a good-sounding, reliable console with all of the benefits of digital (complete recall, integrated effects and processing, smaller physical footprint, etc) at the pretty reasonable price of around $8000, which, for the feature set, is very hard to beat.
October 6, 2009 @02:15am
DAS

My first question would be, why do you want a digital mixer? I can think of a number of valid answers, but the ones you are focused on would help us make a better recommendation.
There are quite a few solutions available these days, and they all have various strengths and weaknesses. The LS9 Michael mentioned has been popular, but depending on what's important to you there may be better options. The RSS system is interesting, for just one example.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VMixSysStd/
It's an entire solution that includes its own digital snake. We did a test here at SW a few months ago where we ran some signals through a 150' high quality analog snake while also running them into and through this digital snake. We were really surprised at how huge the improvement was with the digital snake. It sounded a LOT better -- not a subtle difference at all. Recording with this mixer is a lot easier/cheaper than with the LS9 as well. I could go on, but without knowing what is relevant or important to you it might be a waste.
There are a lot of choices in the market now. Look around.
October 6, 2009 @11:44am
michaelhoddy

DAS- Can Sweetwater source the commercial side of the Yamaha digital line? (LS9, M7, PM5, DM1k/2k, etc) I know you guys stock the 01 and 02, but I also know those are generally part of the MI side.
I have heard the new Roland mixer, but haven't used it. Looks nice, and the reviews seem to be good so far. Guess I still have a bit of a bad taste from the whole VM-7000 series adventure.
October 6, 2009 @08:04pm
DAS

The VM-7000 was a disaster for the most part. The VMix system is a completely different animal. Looks and feels totally different. We were skeptical at first too, but now that we've put a number of them in we're finding it to be a very viable and competitive solution. And it's so easy to scale it. Need to add a monitor mixing station? Just hook up another surface and set some outputs.
As for the Yami stuff. We can source it. Don't stock it tho.
October 6, 2009 @08:55pm
robertallen

Digital Mixers are great for churches. Most churches run big Christmas and Easter productions, so a digital mixer helps with the changes between each of the scenes. Also specific monitor changes for certain musicians, as there might be a different group between services.
I think it's the way to go.
October 7, 2009 @04:54pm
Madfrisbee

The new PreSonus StudioLive mixers can be daisy-chained as well, which may be a more economical solution, particularly if you ever have a need to run two smaller venues - just separate the two StudioLives and run them in separate rooms. However, I'm a little fuzzy on the StudioLive's ability to recall the mix. It doesn't have motorized faders. I know it will recall channel strip settings, etc, but I'm not sure about a complete mix.
February 16, 2010 @08:05pm
FLZapped

The VM-7000 was a disaster for the most part. The VMix system is a completely different animal. Looks and feels totally different. We were skeptical at first too, but now that we've put a number of them in we're finding it to be a very viable and competitive solution. And it's so easy to scale it. Need to add a monitor mixing station? Just hook up another surface and set some outputs.

The Roland V-Mix stuff has evolved nicely with its various accessories available now. The ability to record up to 40 tracks using SONAR is a bonus.
-Bruce
February 18, 2010 @11:47pm
scottmo

digico SD7 or digico D5T
February 22, 2010 @07:36pm