0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Any Wurlitzer 200A Owners Out There?

steelcityrocker

I just found an early model 200A in my parents' attic that has been collecting dust and I'd like to try and fix it up. I haven't had the chance to open it up and look at the insides, but it needs major adjustments to the action, the intonation, and might need a few of the reeds replaced.
I've been watching videos on youtube on how to repair Wurlitzers, but I'd like to know if any one has done it themselves and just how difficult it was to do. I'm not planning on a total over-haul, but I would like to make it playable (thats assuming it powers up...need to buy a new power cable).
Also, the piano is missing the legs. I'm not willing to drop $250+ on a new set, so I was wondering if any one could recommend a sturdy keyboard stand that can support at least 60 pounds (the Wurlitzer is 56 pounds).
Thanks,
Jeremy
September 25, 2009 @12:21pm
Joe Muscara

You found one in your parent's attic? I hate you.
(My jealousy is clearly not becoming. ;) )
If you get no response here, you might try The Keyboard Corner. There are guys there who probably have experience with this.
As far as stands, there are a few models that should work. The On Stage Z stand and the tabletop/platform style stand both would work well.
Congratulations on your find! I'd love one of those myself.
September 26, 2009 @11:26am
michaelhoddy

I hate you too. I've only ever found junk in the attic or garage.
There are some legs on eBay for $99.95 buy-it-now: http://cgi.ebay.com/Wurlitzer-Piano-200-200A-Legs-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ160361496760QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item25564a40b8&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14
As far as stands, any decent double-braced X-stand that can support an 88-key weighted-action keyboard would be fine- they all weigh the same or a little more than a Wurlitzer.
I've used one of these for years and been very happy with it:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XStdDbl/
The only downside that might make you want to do a Z-stand or something else is that you might be limited if you want to put the X-stand at its very lowest height for playing while sitting- the short width of the Wurli might not be enough to sit on the stand safely at that height.
September 26, 2009 @02:42pm
Atlas5

I have not owned one for many years, I simply play samples of the thing.
If reeds are not broken your can add weight to them with solder. Tuning is trial and error, be careful of high voltage on reeds, note that little solder bit can short out the reed to pickup plate and create very loud pops.
October 13, 2009 @04:04am