0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

USB controller

jchtntech

Hi all.
I hope that my question doesn't prompt a "STFF" response. I have a specific "help me choose" question.
I am looking for a USB MIDI keyboard. I have a Keystation 49 for home (great for note entry) but I need one for my office. My space is small, so I am looking for a controller which is 1)smaller than the Keystation 2)probably two octaves or so 3)full size keys 4)lacking any extras. Read that last part as "cheap."
I appreciate the help!
~J
September 9, 2009 @11:08pm
Joe Muscara

It doesn't meet your requirements for full size keys nor two octaves, but the Korg NanoKey might still be an option. It's so cheap and portable that it might win you over anyway. I love mine.
Other than that, look at the offerings from Edirol/Roland and M-Audio.
September 10, 2009 @12:02pm
jchtntech

Thanks Joe. How large are the keys? It is hard to tell from the photos. How big is an octave compared to full-size keys?
J
September 10, 2009 @12:08pm
Joe Muscara

The keys are pretty small, no doubt.
They seem to be 11/16" wide, 1.5" tall. An octave is 4 7/8". It's great for inputting note data and even for playing short phrases. I would not use it to work on your technique, however.
September 11, 2009 @12:12pm