0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Old Skool Megadeth tone?

ripper6192008

I know what Dave uses now but I am wondering how would I go about getting a thick, chunky metal tone like on the Megadeth album Countdown to Extinction. In particular the track Architecture of Aggression. If you have heard it then you know what I mean. If not what would be a good way to get that gritty, thick, chunky metal tone? What amp? What Eq?
August 24, 2009 @05:33am
Krynos

Try a Peavey 6505 plus, with a Mesa Rec Cab. Your going to have to spend some money to get a nice tone like that. Good cables, monster cable Rock. Good speaker cable from your head to cable, monster cable pro studio. All the little things add up, but it all makes a difference.
August 24, 2009 @12:37pm
jdesola

If you have a distortion pedal and an EQ pedal you can make it happen. Run your signal through the distortion first, nice and raunchy, then through the EQ with a 'smiley' curve (scooped mids). Just tweak a little after that and you should be able to get reasonably close.
If your amp has an FX Loop an EQ will usually work there (in place of or in addition to a distortion pedal). Play around a little before you go spend thousands on Dave's gear.
Edit: Just remembered that you're on an FX processor... use something with a rectifier and scoop the mids. It's not likely to be perfect but you'll get close enough to have fun jamming.
August 24, 2009 @04:28pm
ripper6192008

The suggestion was dead on!! I used the 5150 II amp sim and the Meas Rectifier cab sim w/a touch of compressor threw my randall head and 4x12 and WOW!! Gutwrenching, focused PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE W/A BRICK TONE!!! IDK what to do about adding delay and reverb.....I have some really nice ambient Lexicon reverb and delay but I don't want to mask the original tone too much. Just enough to add some depth....ya know? Any suggestions?
August 24, 2009 @07:56pm
jdesola

You know... a little touch of each couldn't hurt.
August 25, 2009 @03:56pm
ripper6192008

good thought. I added some analog delay @ 400ms and 4 repeats low mix and its sounds great...I was thinking of adding some reverb too but I have so many to choose from IDK which to use. And at what settings ya know?
August 25, 2009 @04:47pm
jdesola

I would suggest a big room reverb, like auditorium or stadium maybe. That will give you the sound as though you were playing a Megadeth sized venue. I would keep the settings fairly low. Most reverbs sound pretty silly when they're turned way up, IMO.
August 26, 2009 @01:44pm