0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

TV Jones or Filtertrons in 6120...

RJPILL

The Gretch 1959 6120 models are available with either high filtertron or tv jones pup's. Can anyone tell me what the difference is in tone? Thanks.
August 10, 2009 @03:52am
Guitarplayer

T.V. Jones builds his pickups to sound like really good examples of vintage Gretsch Filter-Trons. The difference in tone compared to the stock PU (to my ears): TV's are a little clearer with an extended treble response and about the same or maybe even slightly lower output. Great classic Gretsch sound. Listen to Brian Setzer - he uses them.
For me it was a no brainer - the Joneses won hands down.
August 11, 2009 @01:42pm
Terry Wetzel

Hi, I recently purchased a Gretsch, G5120 in perfect condition and although it is the new, cheap model, I got it for next to nothing at a local music store. The deal was too good to pass up. I didn't care for the fixed, aluminum bridge so I replaced it with a tuneomatic. I would like to know if I could retrofit T.V.Jones pickups in place of the humbuckers it came with. This would have to be a direct replacement,(I.E.) no luthier experience here. I can;t afford a G6120. Any advice?
August 18, 2009 @01:44pm
RJPILL

Thanks for the response. The 6120 model I've been considering has a highly flamed maple body, and just looks fantastic, but comes with the filtertron pups. Sweetwater has them for $2499.00. Other models of the 6120 come with the TV Jones pups, but not with the flamed maple top, sides, and back. I wonder if I could get the flamed maple version with the TV Jones pickups already installed.....
August 18, 2009 @03:47pm