rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Are Groove Tubes worth the high price?

mbvoxx

They are twice the price of other tubes....are they worth it? and WHY are they so much higher in price?
August 6, 2009 @09:12pm
R Whittington

bearing in mind that "worth it" is completely subjective to one's individual taste...I say they are. The tubes are extremely high quality. You won't find better at all. If you're buying a set (pair or 4) of power amp tubes they're very closely matched which is definitely a performance advantage. If you simply need to replace a tube that's gone bad to keep an amp up and running, they probably aren't for you. If you want to get the best possible performance from your amp...Groove Tubes would be a good idea. Also, I'd recommend having your amp biased after replacing the power amp tubes as well. Again...all in the pursuit of optimum amp performance.
August 6, 2009 @09:27pm
jdesola

I agree with RW. You don't necessarily have to use Groove Tubes but a good set of tubes will definitely improve the sound of your amp. Electro Harmonix has decent tubes as do Ruby Tubes and JJ Tubes.
The thing about tubes is that they can be designed to break up more or less quickly, offering more headroom or more saturation for your amp. I don't focus on brand as much as I do the characteristics of replacement tubes.
August 7, 2009 @02:11pm
anotherfender

my Blues Junior came with Groove Tubes...I like the sound of it....are they the key to it ?? ..don't know.
August 8, 2009 @02:04am