0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Dual Screens Soaking Up CPU Power

TFish

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone is experiencing CPU usage issues when running dual screens in PT 8.0 LE. Typically I'm seeing a 30% to 50% increase in CPU usage when I run a session across two screens compared to the same session on a single screen. Often times resulting in error codes to increase buffering and killing the session - you know the drill.
I've run all the known optimizations for Vista, de-fragged, system optimization in 8.0 LE, etc.
I'm running an M-Box 2 Pro into a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop (not docked but plugged in) with a 22" Samsung screen plugged into the monitor port (not USB).
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T9300(2.5GHz, 800Mhz, 6M L2 Cache
RAM: 4GB, DDR, 667MHz Dimm
Op Software: Vista Home Premium
Any thoughts on a solution would be great... and no I don't wanna hear that I need to go to a Mac.
Thanks!!!
-T
August 5, 2009 @06:56pm
Justin

You might try toggling the Aero Glass effect on and off and see if that helps.
August 5, 2009 @07:43pm
TFish

You might try toggling the Aero Glass effect on and off and see if that helps.

Thanks Justin, I'll give it a try. I'm running Vista "optimized" for Pro Tools (as in nearly XP at this point) as directed by Sweetwater techs, will this still have an effect?
August 5, 2009 @07:50pm
Justin

I'm not sure. I'm interested to see if it makes a difference.
If you run in Windows Classic, the desktop is rendered on the CPU. When you turn on Aero, it's composited as 3d objects using the graphics processor.
I don't know if switching will make a difference, but it's worth testing.
August 5, 2009 @09:08pm
TFish

Makes sense. I haven't been able to make time to try it yet, hopefully tonight. I'll relay the results.
August 6, 2009 @06:23pm
TFish

Well I've tried every known system optimization and tweak, all to no avail. Finally jumped on DigiDesign's website and have found that this is a known issue with no known solution. DigiDesign is now stating that they are afraid that this is an issue that can not be fixed with a "cs" update... that's just plain scary.
Presumably Sweetwater is aware of this and has been aware of it, but they continue to sell 8.0 and associated hardware. (tsk, tsk) I'm including a link to DigiDesign's forum (all 39 pages on this post... eight month's worth since this issue was brought to DigiDesign's attention). Glean from it what you can. Most people are reverting back to 7.4 or moving to different software completely.
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=236239&highlight=cpu
DigiDesign should be embarassed by their continued lack of viable software, particularly the release of LE 8.0. I also find it most discouraging that Sweetwater continues to sell a product that they know is faulty.
-T
August 9, 2009 @09:23pm
Rael

Huh??!! ^^^
You expect SW to not sell the current version of the most popular DAW software product because a small minority of people have a hardware configuration that causes problems? Also, FWIW, I read the thread and Digi very clearly says they are working on a fix, and that the severity of the problem relates to specific hardware choices.
Sounds like there's some way for them to get you back to 7.4 if you're interested.
August 10, 2009 @05:08pm
TFish

Um... well if you consider 39 pages with nearly 400 posts and over 23,000 views a handful of users, then I'm not quite sure what to say. DigiDesign has stated on their website that they will be unable to fix the code via a normal cs (patch release), which means they will have to roll out a new version of LE 8 to fix the issue. It is not a hardware issue, it's a programming issue.
You're right, though. Pro Tools is the most popular recording software. We should expect more from DigiDesign and its biggest retailer, Sweetwater.
My system requirements are more than adequate to run most recording software applications for home use. I did revert back to 7.4 tonight and found that my CPU usage went from 70% (when running LE 8) to 15% (when running LE 7.4).
August 11, 2009 @02:10am
Rael

The number of views and posts has only a lose correlation to the number of people really experiencing the problem. Bad news always travels faster and farther than good news, especially on forums. If you count up the number of individual users posting (many of them multiple times) it doesn't seem like that many to me. Regardless of that, if it were really a bad problem affecting many or most people then it would have spread like wildfire and be a huge issue on all the boards by now, especially when you consider the many thousands of copies of the software that have surely been sold. So yeah, I think it's a small minority of users. I know at least a dozen PT users on PC and not one of them is experiencing this problem. But I get it man. When it's YOU that's affected it's a huge drag. Wish they'd fix it faster, but you know they will fix it. Glad the 7.4 thing worked.
August 11, 2009 @01:42pm
JeffBarnett

Um... well if you consider 39 pages with nearly 400 posts and over 23,000 views a handful of users, then I'm not quite sure what to say. DigiDesign has stated on their website that they will be unable to fix the code via a normal cs (patch release), which means they will have to roll out a new version of LE 8 to fix the issue. It is not a hardware issue, it's a programming issue.
You're right, though. Pro Tools is the most popular recording software. We should expect more from DigiDesign and its biggest retailer, Sweetwater.

Just to put this in perspective...
400 posts does not equate to 400 users, as some people post multiple times on the same thread. But even if it did, and 400 people have reported this problem on the DUC, that's a very small fraction of the installed user base. There are hundreds of thousands of Pro Tools 8 users out there, and 400 of them is a pretty small number by comparison. Plus, as Rael pointed out, Digi is already aware of the problem and working on a solution.
Myself, I've been using Pro Tools 8 for months with no issues, and I have several hundred customers on Pro Tools 8. Only ONE of them has mentioned this issue to me. To suggest that we would withhold a (really HUGE) update to the top-selling DAW in the world to the rest of several hundred customers because of the one who had problems seems ludicrous to me. If we waited until every software product was perfect before carrying it, we'd never sell any software at all, and our customers would simply go elsewhere. In face, we'd still be waiting for Microsoft to fix Windows XP.
August 11, 2009 @01:53pm
TFish

Regardless, I appreciate the perspective to be sure, certainly worth consideration, and I thank you for the input.
On a more positive note, I am most happy to relay that Digi refunded my money for the upgrade 8.0. This goes a long way for me with regard to their customer service. I can, with pleasure, report that I stand corrected on this point.
I would like to re-state that with 7.4 loaded, my system's CPU and RAM are barely aware PT is running. (This is a common thread on Digi's forum as well). Guess I'll stick with 7.4 until the 8.0 issues are resolved. Bummer because I enjoyed the versatility afforded by the 8.0 update.
August 18, 2009 @07:14pm
Benoni

Im runnning PT 8 LE in Vista Ultimate just fine. I dont see how people are getting 70% cpu use. One thing you all need to be doing is launching PT as Administrator. Now Im not talking about logging into Windows as Administrator, which you should be doing anyway before running PT, Im talking actually running the program as Administrator.
This is the way Digidesign launches Pro Tools, in Vista Right Click the Pro Tools Icon, choose Run As Administrator, and you are done. Do this everytime you launch PT.
August 22, 2009 @08:40am
sophie6jones

Thanks for the information sharing.
Your post is full of knowledgeable contain.
Blockbuster
Blockbuster
Jenny Craig
Extenze
Extenze
Extenze
January 9, 2010 @03:50am