0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
NAMM Show Report

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

New to DAW's

Minimal

Hi, My Name is Chris, and I am new to the forums here as well as Digital Audio Workstations. I have been thinking about making a DAW but do not know alot about them. I just know that when I see a persons Home Studio online, that I am seeing a Computer, Dual Monitors, some sort of Program they are using, Speakers, and a bunch of odd devices hooked up, in which I don't have a clue as to what they do or how to work them.
I would really like to create Techno Music, not sure what type. As far as software goes, I do not know alot about that either, I have used Fruity Loops, and was not too impressed with that as I thought the program looked cookie cutterish. I have also tried a trial version of Sony Acid Pro and thought that was pretty nice program though I felt like you could not really create anything custom with that as you are working with the same loop samples, so all your music would just sound the same.
What would any of you recommend for a DAW to create Techno Music in?
(Off Topic Question)
I heard this techno song on youtube and was wondering if anyone could please explain to me why it is that it sounds better when the guy is playing it Live in his Home Studio, then it does in Studio Quality/or in CD format? The version of the song I have in WAV format sounds different, like it is fake.
The song I heard on Youtube is located here:

The Studio Quality sample can be heard here:
http://www.junodownload.com/ppps/products/1255631-02.htm
Preview first track.
August 5, 2009 @08:38am
Andrew_Malloy

Chris, welcome to the deep end of the pool of recording. I would like to help you navigate the waters. First thing I would say is that if you are making electronic music there are some great places to start, but some of them will require a bit of imagination to really make them sing for you.
If you would like to talk, feel free to call me and discuss a good plan to get you going.
August 5, 2009 @01:02pm
creativemusicians

Ha! Here is another one crazy enough to get into DAW mess. Good luck man! May be you will change your mind before it's too late? It is addictive... Get ready too loose your sleep , money, personal life etc.
September 14, 2009 @11:24pm