0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Digital Piano/Keyboard for Classical Pianist

Kiwi

Not sure where to begin looking... hopefully someone can give me a few suggestions.
Basically, I just want something that feels like a piano and sounds like a piano. I play mostly classical music (Bach, Schubert, Chopin, Mozart, Mendelssohn, etc), but also ballady stuff as well with lots of beautiful cords. I'm not a great pianist but love to be able to sit down and just tinker away. I've always had a piano, but now that I live in a 3rd floor apartment, I'm too conscious that the neighbours would be driven mad by some crazy woman practicing scales.
88 keys -- weighted -- maybe ability to transpose (I'm actually a singer) -- and I think that's about it.
Also, I live in the US right now, but will be moving to the UK sometime next year. If I buy something here, will it work on 240v in the UK?
Thanks for your help.
August 2, 2009 @05:45pm
Digital Eagle

I would suggest the Kurzweil PC3X. It's a little on the pricey side, but is worth every penny. The patches in this thing will just blow you away. Every day I use it I like it more. The thing just grows on you.
Not sure how much you are willing to spend, but definitely check it out before you make a decision. There are a lot of videos available on Youtube - just do a search for PC3X.
The action is excellent, (as good as most acoustic pianos or better) and it has a good built in sequencer as well. Transposing is a piece of cake and it has a switch in the power supply to change over to 240V. I should also mention that Kurzweil takes and interest and supports their customers better than any Company I have done business with. Check out the Kurzweil forums if you don't believe me.
In fact, there just isn't much it doesn't do well. :)
August 18, 2009 @03:25am
Lambo

+1 for the PC3X - Awesome keyboard, arguably the best out there.
August 18, 2009 @10:03am
JCLSW

Kiwi, Get, or go try, a Yamaha CP 300 - just what you need!
September 14, 2009 @01:29am
Joe Muscara

There is also the Casio Privia line to consider. Excellent keyboards for the money, particularly as far as the feel.
September 14, 2009 @12:07pm
Guitarplayer

If you are a classical pianist there is absoulutely NOTHING like the Roland V-Piano. It is pricey, but it is nothing short of stunning. If you have an opportunity to play one it will change the way you look at digital pianos.
September 17, 2009 @01:03pm