0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Gibson sg differences?

j-colbert0695

Hey guys im interested in buyin a gibson sg historic reissue vos with maestro but before i do i have a few questions....
-Is there a purpose for the maestro or is it just there for the look?
-Why is this guitar one thousand dollars more than the regular sg historic reissue? and is it worth it to spend this much extra money on it?
-What is better about this guitar than the Gibson sg Standard?
-What does VOS (Vintaged Original Spec) Mean?
Thanks a lot and appreciate any answers
August 2, 2009 @03:07am
anotherfender

I'm assuming you are interested in the Robbie Krieger SG......I'm sure someone from Sweetwater will chime in with a good answer. All these artist re-issue/"clone" guitars are kind of interesting but also expensive.
The more expensive has an "aged" finish and a signed certificate of authenticity. For that kind of money, hopefully it just looks aged, not like the Fender Road Worn guitars. I personally don't get the very well played/worn look or the replicating some artist's guitar down to the tiniest knick or scratch. I'd want my version to be all brand spankin' new and I'll add my won wear and (sadly) dings.
Another question, is this an investment or something you want to play? Remember the beanie baby bust?
Guitars vary year to year, neck thickness, radius, etc...so VOS would be the original version of the SG in all those categories.
All SGs are not the same, I had a 70's SG I wish I'd kept. I later got a '61 re-issue and it wasn't the same guitar at all, never liked it. I ended up selling it.
The maestro is probably functional to a degree I'd think. I'm not sure how good it is or if it stays in tune if you use it.
I wish I could buy stuff in this price range...I'm only interested in a "cheap" Fender Black Dove Tele.
Good luck !
August 2, 2009 @05:17pm
R Whittington

The Maestro is functional. It's not really a dive-bomber "whammy bar" style tremolo, but think of it more as a "Bigsby" style tailpiece used for subtle nuances. Any of the Gibson VOS guitars are more expensive than their counterparts. More attention to detail in every aspect is carried out to come up with the most accurate re-creation of these instruments. Anotherfender is spot on when he says artist signature models are more expensive (see the new Billy Gibbons "Pearly Gates" models yet?...). "Worth it" is a very subjective thought. I don't think in a blind playing test you'd play one and think.."that guitar is waaaayyy better than the other one".What is completely reasonable to one player will be worthless to another. In RE to the factory aging on guitars...again, subjective. To me it's all about a vibe a guitar gives off. Some guitar models that have been around for 50+ years seem to benefit from this where guitar designs from the past 20 years would just look out of place if they were pre-aged to that extent. And I too wish I had several 70s SGs that I once owned. Can't figure out why Gibson hasn't done a re-issue of the 70s SG standard, walnut finish with the small block inlays and wide-travel bridge?...
August 3, 2009 @01:09pm
jdesola

Intending no offense I'll say that if you're asking those questions you should consider saving your money.
The extra $1000 is the value of an American Fender, a lower-end Gibson, many Gretsch models, and countless amps, fx, or accessories. I wouldn't think that putting the extra money into historic reissues and vintage specs is the best bet, especially if you don't understand and appreciate those features.
Seriously, for $4000 you can buy a more standard SG and a Marshall JVM or other amp of your dreams to send your ears to tonal heaven.
I hope my comments help. Also, google the 'zoot suit SG'. Now that might be worth it!
August 3, 2009 @02:25pm