0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
February Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Kurzweil PC3X vs. Roland 700GX

thistlefly

I'm about to replace my trusty Kurzweil PC88Mx, and considering the Kurzweil PC3X and the Roland 700GX. My situation is complicated by not having found places to try these instruments live, never mind side-by-side. (I haven't quite given up on that yet. :) )
I'm leaning heavily towards the Kurzweil, both because of the satisfaction I've had with the PC88 and the workstation features, which are almost totally absent from the Roland. The one thing that weighs strongly in Roland's favor is their new escapement action... which for a pianist really sounds superb.
I'd really like to hear just how much better this action is than a typical weighted action (and specifically the Kurzweil). If it is a fairly minor improvement, I think my decision has already been made. If it is knock-your-socks-off-I-could-never-go-back awesome... well, I'll find a way to try one out before placing my order with Sweetwater.
Thanks for any and all input-
Bob
July 18, 2009 @10:22pm
Joe Muscara

I have the 700GX and I love it. But, it weighs a ton and it hasn't left the house yet, and I don't know if it ever will. I think the action on it is fantastic, but I hear the action on Roland's new V-Piano is even better.
Personally, I'm satisfied with the piano sounds on the GX. I think part of that is the way they interact with the action, such as sustain resonance, half pedaling, etc. I also have Ivory, which I tend to think is a better piano tone, but doesn't have all the same nuances.
The other sounds in the Roland range from great to just okay.
I have not played the PC3X, but I hear its sounds are really good overall, and that the action is good too.
I guess I'm saying a consideration is will you be playing out with whichever board you get?
July 19, 2009 @12:30pm
thistlefly

Thanks for the reply.
I don't gig out much now, but that can change in a heartbeat; I've been with groups at times that instantly change the need/desire to gig out. That isn't really a consideration, though; both boards weight about the same and are about the same size.
Out or in, the Kurzy sounds are great whether for recording or playing. The action plays the largest part in whether I should consider the Roland... though I confess, the 'piano designer' interface intrigues me more than a little. :)
I'm going to do some research this week and see if I can find local places to try both boards. In the meantime, I'm still interested in hearing from anyone with first-hand experience, especially with both.
Thanks-
Bob
July 20, 2009 @01:22am