rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Bounce Not Loud Enough

alexpow

Hi All,
I am using a Macbook Pro and Logic 8 Pro with an Apogee Duet for some solo project work.
My question is this: When I make a final bounce of my project, it is not as loud as many of the other commercially done CD in my iTunes Library. I DO have it set to normalize when I bounce.
I have thought about this, but don't know what the cause is. Have i set my individual track gains too high?
Don't get me wrong, It is pretty loud, but most all of my commercial recordings are louder?
Also, I am using some Logic Mastering plugins, like adaptive limiter, multicompressor, eq...
Thanks!
Alex
June 23, 2009 @05:24pm
Andrew_Malloy

You may just not be hitting it as hard as the commercial CDs are hitting their limiters or possibly the normalizing is bringing it down. Your master output fader should be at Unity (0 dBfs) as well. I know that if you bring the volume down in Logic's transport bar, it actually is moving that fader.
June 23, 2009 @05:27pm
alexpow

Ok thanks! I'll try not normalizing and messing with the limiter.
I appreciate it!
Alex
June 23, 2009 @05:29pm
Psykostx

a) Your mix. Mixing is about proportion and relative volume. If you want something to be loud it has to contain the right frequencies AND cover a large dynamic range over other instruments/sounds in the mix. You need headroom in a mix for it to sound loud.
b) Normalizing is NOT the same as limiting.
c) Are all your frequency ranges full, with their partials (non-linear harmonic tones) in the correct proportion? Also, are all your instrument tracks cleared of UNWANTED frequencies?
You should buy a book on mastering, and a physics text book, and learn the physics textbook before you read the book on mastering.
Don't worry EVERYONE has this problem. It is called the "Loudness War." And its a war noone can win. Increase your dynamic ranges in your mix and you will hear your masters get louder.
June 23, 2009 @11:43pm