0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Country Guitar Tone Settings??

ripper6192008

I figure a tele threw something like a Vox AC30 Top Boost on a 2x12 w/Delay,compression and maybe chorus??? Any suggestions?? Im looking for a real "bouncy" chickin' pickin' tone. Have you ever heard "Finish What Ya Started" by Van Halen??? I play metal and hard rock so this is all new for me. I'm trying to expand my horizions. :) Delay and compression settings,amp type are what Im looking for.
June 15, 2009 @12:04pm
Guitarplayer

You're on the right track; Brad Paisley uses an AC30 in addition to other Dr Z AC30 inspired amps and gets a great chick-pick tone.
The universally accepted recipe for authentic Don Rich truck drivin', chicken pickin' tone has been a Telecaster into just about any blackface Fender amp - preferably a Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb. Add compression to make the notes "pop" and a little slap delay if you're headed in the Rockabilly direction and you should be good.
Chorus went out in the 80's... :)
June 15, 2009 @01:40pm
ripper6192008

what would be some good settings on the delay and compression???
June 15, 2009 @02:13pm
jdesola

If you have a Tele and an AC30 you do not need anything else. That chick'n pick'n "squawk" can be achieved using an excruciatingly clean tone from a tube amp (AC30 is perfect IMO). You may know but tubes are great because of their natural compression, so no compression pedals needed.
As far as delay, I would personally go without but a hint if delay may give you more 'bounce' if you prefer. As far as EVH chick'n pick'n... that may be a whole 'nother ball game.
June 16, 2009 @04:17pm
ripper6192008

thankx I have nailed it. I added some digital delay 138ms 4 repeats 32% mix with a good bit of detuner to get that Eddie vibe and bam nailed it. I used a the same settings on a Fender '65 Reverb Deluxe and its sounded so good I couldn't beleive it!!
June 16, 2009 @08:24pm
jdesola

What amp/fx processor are you using? Just out of curiosity.
June 17, 2009 @01:18pm
ripper6192008

well I have several. I have an old EP-2 Solid State Echoplex I got from a friend of my Dads' for free. I have a Behringer V-Amp Pro rackmount that I use in combo with the echoplex for Eds' Roth era tunes. But my primary unit is a Digitech RP500. That does everything under the sun and then some.
June 17, 2009 @09:09pm
jdesola

Cool, thanks for sharing. Good luck with that chick'n pick'n.
June 18, 2009 @07:45pm
ripper6192008

yeah thankx im workin on it. I knew there was a formula for country like rock and metal. Every genre has a formula.
June 19, 2009 @03:23am
Guitarplayer

thankx I have nailed it. I added some digital delay 138ms 4 repeats 32% mix with a good bit of detuner to get that Eddie vibe and bam nailed it. I used a the same settings on a Fender '65 Reverb Deluxe and its sounded so good I couldn't beleive it!!

...yeah, the Deluxe does have a certain magic to it. I think it's my all time favorite amp. Glad to hear you nailed the sound you were looking for!
To answer your question regarding compression settings; there's really no way to answer that...:) It depends SO heavily on the guitar, which compressor, the pickups, how hard you hit the strings and the amp. Post more info on your setup and I'll try to help.
June 19, 2009 @06:57pm
ripper6192008

Well I have many guitars. My main two are a EVH Wolfgang. The other is a BC Rich fyling V with EMGs. I use the compressor on my RP500.
June 22, 2009 @04:10pm
Guitarplayer

Well I have many guitars. My main two are a EVH Wolfgang. The other is a BC Rich fyling V with EMGs. I use the compressor on my RP500.

Wow - both of those guitars are a long walk from "Country".
Most country twang guys use Fender guitars (preferably a Telecaster) in the bridge pickup position to get that twang. The Wolfie is probably going to get you closest to where you want to be. The RP-500 has 3 different compressors models; digicomp (Digi's own), a BOSS CS-2 and an MXR Dynacomp. The latter two are both Nashville staples and can be found on session player's pedalboards all over Nashville, but in this case I think the digicomp might better serve your purpose because it has a tone control that the others lack. Start with the "sustain" parameter at minimum. Set the attack at or near maximum - this lets a big chunk of the note get through before the compressor clamps down on it which gives you that "popping" effect. Next bring the sustain level up until you achieve the desired amount of compression - you'll know when you've gone too far when you can hear the signal "squish" when you play the guitar. Play with it for a while and you'll find the sweet spot. Adjust the "level" control to bring the signal back up to where it was before you compressed it and finally adjust the "tone" control to add a little "spank".
June 23, 2009 @05:26pm
ripper6192008

yup thats what I alredy figured out sounds great. In my opimion u can make any guitar sound like anything if you know what you are doing,how to work with what u got, and of course are GOOD. Thankx for the tips. I always appreciate any input anyone has. Its always nice to get a fresh persective ya know?? Plus I have a 5150 replica I built by hand from scratch parts, and a 10 year old BC Rich warlock that needs lots of work.
June 24, 2009 @05:19pm
guysmilely

using just the amps that comes with pro tools 8 m-box what amp and fx's should I set up for country guitar tones. I'm close but not there yet need some advice.
August 31, 2009 @09:05am
theactor19

Here is a great article on getting some good Country Guitar Tone
February 5, 2013 @10:49pm