0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 3

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

High CPU Usage

davbrodun

Hi DAW Users,
I have pro tools 8 le cs2 and noticed in the Windows XP task manager that it is using between 50% to 60% cpu utilization, even in a new session with no tracks. It is the only application running and there are only a few services running in the background, most are disabled.
I have win XP sp3, 3.2 ghz dual core processor, and 3.5 gigs of ram. Does anyone know how I can fix this?
Thanks,
David
June 4, 2009 @12:41pm
Smithcok

Do you have any third party plug-ins or VIs installed?
June 4, 2009 @05:17pm
davbrodun

Thanks for your response, it looks like I found the problem...there is a known graphics issue with pro tools 8 le. If you minimize the Edit and Mix windows to a smaller size the cpu utilization drops significantly (reduced by 40%).
June 5, 2009 @12:36pm
Dave Burris

Thanks for your response, it looks like I found the problem...there is a known graphics issue with pro tools 8 le. If you minimize the Edit and Mix windows to a smaller size the cpu utilization drops significantly (reduced by 40%).

Interesting! I would think the proper choice of a graphics card would solve this problem.
June 6, 2009 @12:53am