0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

External HardDrive Question

MetalBrian

Hello all,
So originally I was thinking of getting a MacPro. However, thinking more realistically, I have realized that I'm not going to be recording the Rolling Stones, and it's just going to be me in my bedroom using my POD X3, some VI's and maybe some microphones. I've decided that a higher end iMac will suit me just fine. I do have a question tho:
I'm going to be getting an iMac with either a 2.93 GHz or 3.06 GHz dual-core processor, 4GB of ram, and a 1TB Hard Drive. The virtual instruments alone is going to total about 500GB (maybe more?) of Hard Drive space. I was thinking of getting a 1TB or 2TB external hard drive as well. Not really to backup my files, but just to have additional storage space. My thought was to load all of my programs (Logic Pro 8, VI's etc.) on either the internal or external hard drive, and use the other to store files. Is this a good idea? Or is there something that Im over looking.
If I were to do this, would it be better to store the programs on the internal hard drive, and use the external for files? or should I do it the other way around?
Thanks!
-Brian
May 23, 2009 @08:01pm
Joe Muscara

There are going to be certain things you cannot store on the external. Logic itself will have to be on the internal, though you should be able to store the sounds/loops/instruments externally. There may be some VIs you'll have to put on the internal as well, but I'm not sure of that.
Do yourself a favor, and make sure you backup regularly. You'll be kicking yourself if you don't. You might want to get a separate drive just for that.
May 25, 2009 @12:59pm
ggm1960

Do yourself a favor, and make sure you backup regularly. You'll be kicking yourself if you don't. You might want to get a separate drive just for that.

A backup saved me just yesterday when I went to open my Digital Performer project from the Glyph PortaGig FW800 drive that I attach to my MacBook Pro.
There was an error with one of my "fade" files and the project wouldn't open. This caused me a momentary panic because that project is the whole four hour set for my live band! I've been working on it for months, it's three or four gigabytes of midi and audio.
Fortunately I always backup to a little 16gb Kingston Data Traveler USB flash drive. I put that in and just copied over the Fades folder. I was back in business in no time.
June 6, 2009 @02:41am
DPDB

I would recommend using an external drive and partitioning it... I have partitioned my external drive, one partition is "files" and the other is "VI".... that way you are not mixing VIs with emails and every other file...
It will be faster this way because rather than one drive reading your software file and the VIs, you have 2 drives reading each separately...
You will have less problems. But yes back up... I say that thinking I need to do the same... you can set up a "shadow" drive and that will shadow everything on your hard drives...
July 8, 2009 @06:52am
Justin

Keep in mind that partitioning a drive for organization is great, but it won't dramatically speed up file access on the drive between partitions.
You still have the same physical media, and drive heads reading one drive, it's just sliced into partitions. So the total performance of the drive will be about the same. (taking fragmentation and location of file on the drive out of the equation).
For now you'll probably want at least one external drive for audio use.
If you get heavy into using sample libraries, you may want to put them on a dedicated drive.
Long term, as you grow your studio you may want to look into something like this:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GT103/
Then you can manage multiple drives on the same machine and have different drive keys for backup, samples, audio projects and the like.
July 8, 2009 @02:13pm
abcd719

all our ugg bootsare high quanlity replicas,the cheap ugg boot as the same as original ugg boots,have the same box,material,tags,labels.
January 27, 2010 @02:47pm