0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Punk rock recording

revert979

So I just noticed this new Soundboard forum. Awesome idea. I believe it was Tarktones who originally brought it up? Good thinking dude.
Anyway, so here's a link to my little EP of my band I've been working on for a while. The band is called Flat Earth Society. Yes, a blatant rip from Bad Religion.
www.soundcloud.com/revert979
All the songs are downloadable in wav format if you wanted to take it to your monitoring setup. It's still a work in progress and none of it is mastered, but I'd love to hear any and all feedback.
Everything was recorded through two Pre's, an Octopre, and a Mindprint En-Voice MKII, and sent into ProTools LE via Digi 003. And in the case of the drums, the overheads, ride, and hi-hat mic went through an old Yamaha 12/4 mixing console and bussed down to two outputs (left and right) for the sake of keeping my total mic inputs down to 8. Other than that, if anyone would like more specific info on the equipment used and/or the software used, simply ask :)
May 19, 2009 @11:41pm
dodgeaspen

Not bad. I hate using on line players because most of the time the recordings get messed up by them.
June 7, 2009 @07:46pm
revert979

Agreed. Which is why I give people the option to download the .wav files. But all things considered, soundcloud is one of the better quality streaming audio sites I've come across.
June 10, 2009 @08:32pm
DeeDep

Hey there,
nice recording; can you give me the specifics on your drum sound? (i.e. triggers, mics, signal processing etc.)
Thanks!
August 3, 2009 @06:06pm
revert979

Sorry for taking so long to respond DeeDep, it's been a while since I've been through here. Haha, it's funny how you hear your stuff much later and think, "ugh, I suck." Well maybe some people don't, but I do :)
At any rate. No physical drum triggers were used. But I triggered and replaced the kick, snare, and toms w/ TL Drum Rehab. The only drum tracks that stayed from the original performance are the overheads. All the drum samples used though were recorded from my kit from that particular session.
Mic setup went like this:
kick - audix d6
snare top - sm57 (if I remember correctly, coulda been a Beta 56, I use that a lot too)
snare bottom - sennheiser e906
hi, mid, and low toms - sennheiser e604's
overheads - crappy pair of nady cm90's
I would stay away TL Drum Rehab though. That was my first and last session using it. It can sound fantastic but unfortunately it's a broken plug. Now a days, to replace drums, I use Massey's DTM (Drums To Midi) and Structure as my sampler. There's more of a learning curve but it's much more powerful and flexible in my opinion.
Pretty much just Sonnox EQ and Dynamics on just about every channel. I use a very light amount of compression on the kick though, if any at all. I prefer a big kick to a squashed one.
October 13, 2009 @08:21am