0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Spring Clearance

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

How To Import DP Projects From v3 to v6?

mmem700

I just made the jump from DP 3 on OS 9 to DP 6 on OS X.
Problem is that I'm having trouble opening the v3 files in v6. v6 simply does not recognize them as DP files. They are grayed out in the file-open window.
I transferred them from the old Beige G3 machine to the new silver Mac Pro as a zipped tar using file-sharing so I don't think they are corrupt.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
May 4, 2009 @11:18pm
DAS

My suspicion is that DP9 can't read files that old (I don't know this for a fact though). You may have to locate an intermediate version of DP, load them in there, save, and then open them in DP9. I know this is a pain, but I've encountered other programs that eventually obsolete themselves in this manner. I guess it's just too much work to maintain all that legacy info in the software.
May 5, 2009 @11:38am
cmchamp

Here's been my experience FWIW.
For some reason, even though I am the ADMIN on all of my Macs, Leopard doesn't always recognize that.
I have DP6 on my PowerBook and on my MacPro. If I take a project from one to the other, I get a -36 error, which I believe is ownership permissions. Even after I set the folder and all the contents to the correct permissions, I get the same error.
Solution - When taking a project from my PowerBook to the MacPro for more processing headroom, I Save As and Duplicate Audio Data to the MacPro from the PowerBook.
I think part of it is the disk formatting difference.
Additionally, I don't have any troubles opening ancient (DP4 or older) files off of my old Dual 450 G4, however, I again have to Save AS and Duplicate Audio Data if I want to save changes on my MacPro.
Hope that helps.
C.
May 5, 2009 @03:48pm
mmem700

Thanks for the information and suggestions.
I have been wrestling with this for a couple days and finally decided to attempt to open the old DP3 projects on the machine they've been on since they were created using the original copy of DP3.
Interestingly, DP3 grays them out as well. Obviously, something has changed because I know they worked fine before.
Hmmm...
I'm now going to examine the original files themselves. The old machine has been off for about a year and moved to my new location, but everything else on the machine works fine.
I'm baffled.
May 5, 2009 @09:11pm
cmchamp

You may need to obtain a copy of DiskWarrior for OS9.
Is the clock on the OS9 machine working properly?
Have you ever transferred these files on a FAT32 or NTFS formatted drive?
May 6, 2009 @12:46am
mmem700

No, actually the files have been sitting on the drive ever since they've been created.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will check out disk warrior.
May 6, 2009 @01:02am
mmem700

I had a breakthrough last night while researching this. I was actually able to recover a project completely.
It seems that I have two separate problems. First, I had to change the DP project file to:
TYPE: PERF
CREATOR: MOUP
This enabled DP6 to open the DP3 files without a problem.
The second problem is that I got an error when trying to save the project, something like "Resource file was not found (-193)"
In order to solve this, I had to restore the headers on the audio files, one-by-one. I used SoundHack to load each file and change it to 16-bit 44.1 KHz. When I restored the header info in each audio file, the project saved perfectly.
So, it was about 5am when I did this, so I went to bed. I've got a number of projects so it looks like I've got my work cut out for me tonight.
Thanks for all of your help!
May 6, 2009 @07:58pm