We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

A new Amp

Gibgeek

My old amp just blew, and I have been wanting a good stage amp that I can also practice with. I've been looking at the Fender deluxe Hot Rod, but that is a little expensive....
I've also been considering getting a Vox, just because a friend of mine loves them. I really don't care what brand I get, I just want a good practice and stage amp. Can anyone help with this? I don't know which amp to get...
April 22, 2009 @03:18pm
jdesola

Check out the Peavey tube amp products. They have half stacks for $400. I think some of the models have built in attenuators. That's a biggie if you want good cranked tone in your bedroom.
April 22, 2009 @03:31pm
Audioholic

Blackstar amps!!!
Egnater Rebel!!!
April 22, 2009 @07:52pm
jdesola

+1 on Egnater Rebel suggestions. Stellar amp, extremely versatile.
Blackstar is great but I think it'll be either too big or too small... IMO.
April 23, 2009 @01:47pm
Audioholic

The new Blackstar HT sounds killer and huge for a small amp.
here is a video someone did with it, pretty amazing for the small compact size and price...
egnater rebel is also sweet!
April 23, 2009 @07:23pm
wackedhack

My old amp just blew, and I have been wanting a good stage amp that I can also practice with. I've been looking at the Fender deluxe Hot Rod, but that is a little expensive....
I've also been considering getting a Vox, just because a friend of mine loves them. I really don't care what brand I get, I just want a good practice and stage amp. Can anyone help with this? I don't know which amp to get...

I would get a Peavy Classic 30 or 50! If you want to practice at home, then I would go with the 30. The Classic 30 is very loud for it's size, and also has an extention speaker output in the back of it. It's tube driven and it can be used for most any type of music. If your looking to save money, go on to Ebay and you should be able to get one just a few years old for around $250. I got one there about 3 years ago and she's still rocking like new. Personally I put in Eurotubes in it right away, and what a difference it made. Just go to eurotubes.com and look for the Classic 30 there, and they have sets of tubes for most any style of music that you play. I think they are great sounding tubes! Just use commen sense when buying off the internet. Most people there are pretty decent about things and just want to sell their guitar. I have managed to start a fairly impressive guitar collection from buying great guitars at a decent price.
So there you go. At least go check one out somewhere before you dismiss it. You may be pleasently surprised, who know??
Wackedhack
May 2, 2009 @02:58am
gibsonman

I have a Line 6 Spider III 75............ IT KICKS !!!!
May 13, 2009 @01:03am
Bluesman48

Check out the Fender Blues JR. Six bills with tax et-al. If you don't want or need the pure heaven of tubes, solid state is much cheaper. Good luck in your search. IMHO the best thing to do is get to a music store and try on a few for size and sound.:)
May 16, 2009 @12:04am
brokenbones

Well, first off I would look into getting your old amp fixed and seeing how much that would cost. As far as the Hot Rod models from Fender, be cautious. I have a Hot Rod Blues Deville and it just screams. It's too loud. The cleans are phenominal so if you wanted to add a distoriton pedal it would work. The distortion on the amp is muddy which isn't anything new. If you decide to go down that route you're probably better off looking at the Blues Jr. It's a sweet sounding amp, smaller, lighter, tube and add a distortion/overdrive pedal and go.
May 20, 2009 @09:00pm
El Duderino

I'd get a Peavey Vypyr 75w. The 30w might even suffice. They're terrific amps, and inexpensive. The floor pedal is and extra $200 though.
May 21, 2009 @06:17pm
brokenbones

The best thing I would suggest is to research and see what bands you like play through. I'm not saying imitate their sound but get a good reference point of where to start.
As far as Peaveys go, it would be hard-pressed to find a band worth a sh*t in the last 25 years that has recorded using Peavey's. Now here is where the loyalists go quoting xyz Metal band or so and so country star or Lynard Skynard. Peavey's and Crate amps are irrelevant anymore. Stick to the well-known pillars of modern music; Vox, Fender, Marshall or Mesa Boogie.
-Eric
May 22, 2009 @04:10pm
jdesola

We all know the sounds of Vox, Fender, Marshall, and Mesa... "Cha Ching" of the cash register.
If your skill level (or budget) warrants one of these 'pillar' amps you owe it to yourself to audition each brand and several models until you find the one you like.
If your skill and budget do not warrant $1000+ for a tube amp but you want to get into the world of power tube saturation you should look at the lower end products (like Peavey or Crate). I promise, a cranked Windsor with an OD pedal will get you the name brand tone.
Here's another thing. The bands you like will be playing 100w or even 200w full stacks on stage (probably more than one). Their studio amps will never be seen by the general public and they are not the same as their stage amps. Take Jimmy Page (we can all relate right?), he played the Stairway to Heaven solo with a Tele and a low-wattage Supro amp (or similar). On stage he plays several Marshall stacks with a Gibson double-neck. Do they both sound great? Yes. Could Jimmy Page replicate that tone with a Crate or Peavey and a few pedals? YES!!!
The tone is in the player, the amp is the vehicle. Don't get caught up in name brand hype, use your ears.
May 23, 2009 @02:44pm
anotherfender

another vote for the blues Junior. I recently bought one of them ,LOVE it !!!
Recently sold the Fender Champion 600, nice little amp but notqite "it" for me.
I had one of the Vox Valvetronix amps but returned it a couple years ago.
Best advice, take your guitar and try the amps and pick what you thinks sounds best.
June 7, 2009 @12:05am
prism

A Fender Blues Jr with upgraded speaker and tubes is hard to beat for the money.
June 11, 2009 @03:12pm
Krynos

I have to disagree with the above Peavey comment. A lot of modern Hard Rock and Metal bands are using them.
the higher end tube amps are great, JSX, 6505+ 5150. . . . . .
June 12, 2009 @01:18pm
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!