We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Focusrite, M-Audio or Presonus ???

jazz_theo

I'm really confuse again... ;)
I want to buy an Firewire DAW Interface for my Home Rec Studio..
That has 8 preamp. But not 2 Expensive (under $700)
Which one is better ???
* Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
* M-Audio ProFire 2626
* PreSonus FireStudio Project
* PreSonus FireStudio 2626
* MOTU 8pre
Thx!!
SHANY
April 2, 2009 @10:27am
Smithcok

I don't think there will be any night and day difference between any of those units.
If you have a DAW preference, I'd pick the one that is best suited. (i.e. - I like Pro Tools, so I'd take the M-Audio). Also, I have literally no experience with those units, but I've read on forums that people are typically happy with the sound of the M-Audio box. This is not to say in any way that any of the other units are inferior.
April 2, 2009 @04:55pm
Rad

One piece of advice is to look for comments regarding reliability. Forums, etc, usually make it clear if there's mass defects going on for most of these units. Of course, when we buy something new we usually hope for the best and don't believe our gear will break during the warranty, but I had an issue happen 1 week before the warranty expired, decided that the problem was small it was too late to act, and now as a result I'm discovering a more major problem I can't fix at all, without paying $$$$$$$$$.
So, while design is important, reliability is very key to day-to-day operations. Some companies have a better track record than others, and it usually becomes clear by how much people complain in their respective tech forums. If you see too many people complaining about the same defect/issue, it may be a sign of a mass defect. Sincerely hope it doesn't happen to you!
April 2, 2009 @11:54pm
nine99nine

Are you set on what DAW software you want to use or could you use any that would work? Do you need special monitoring abilities built into the units own software? (do you want your DAW to take care of headphone and monitor mixes or your interfaces software to?) What about buying just an 8 channel interface with only A/D/A and then mixing and matching boutique pre-amps with it - (This could be a more valuable investment in the future.) Is there any specific reason why you want a firewire DAW with 8 mic pres built in?
These are all questions you really need to answer in full before you purchase anything!
I would actually recommend calling a sweetwater sales agent and having them help you find which system really caters to what you want, and is a smart investment for you.
April 7, 2009 @04:43am
trondned

I'm very satisfied with my Presonus M80 preamps, but havent tried their converteres. Also I think the Focusrite in general have very good preamps and descent converters, but I haven't tried that exact model.
April 7, 2009 @09:34am
hmcconnell

I am trying to find this same answer myself. I have searched for hours and days online for something that would help me decide, but to no avail.
I currently have a MOTU Traveler and couldn't be happier with its quality. I use Apple mainstage2 live going into the Taveler and from the traveler into my Alesis hd24xr. It is bomb proof...
However, the Traveler only has 4 mic pres. I use 2 for my guitar and one for vocals. that leaves one pre left. I want to start capturing other instruments when I play and need more pres for drums guitars and bass.
I was planing on the MOTU 8pre, but it lacks word clock and has limited output options. It would, however, integrate nice with the traveler for computer recording, but would be stand alone for the HD24 as you can't split the lightpipe.
I then came across the Presonus Firestudio 2626. It is the same as the traveler, but with two inserts and better output options.
I sure wish I knew which would be better. I want integration, low-latency,and options... lots of options.
Hopefully we will find the answer out there somewhere.
December 3, 2009 @06:27am
jpleong

I believe the M-Audio Profire 2626 outputs the same 8-channels of output through both of its ADAT outs in standalone (mic preamp) mode.
Why not upgrade to a MOTU 896mk3? If you're having success with a MOTU product, there's no sense in crashing the formula with a new player in the game. The lack of Wordclock on the 8Pre isn't the worst thing in the world, you can still sync via ADAT.
JP
December 3, 2009 @05:06pm
hmcconnell

I believe the M-Audio Profire 2626 outputs the same 8-channels of output through both of its ADAT outs in standalone (mic preamp) mode.
Why not upgrade to a MOTU 896mk3? If you're having success with a MOTU product, there's no sense in crashing the formula with a new player in the game. The lack of Wordclock on the 8Pre isn't the worst thing in the world, you can still sync via ADAT.
JP

Thanks for the suggestion.
I need 8 pre's and simultaneous ADAT and Analog outs to go to the HD24 and the FOH Mixer. There are no trim pots for channels 3-8 on the 896. If the Motu 8pre had 8 direct outs I would consider it.
As far as the M-Audio... I stay away from Avid products in general.
December 3, 2009 @06:27pm
hmcconnell

I think I am going to stick with MOTU. I have a good thing going. I am choosing the 8pre and will upgrade my Traveler later down the road for more I/O if needed.
The 8pre will work fine.
December 3, 2009 @06:40pm
jpleong

Are you thinking about the 828mk3? The 896mk3 has gain/trim knobs for each of its eight mic/line inputs.
JP
December 3, 2009 @06:44pm
hmcconnell

Are you thinking about the 828mk3? The 896mk3 has gain/trim knobs for each of its eight mic/line inputs.
JP

Yes, I was off on that. My first choice WOULD be the 896mk3, however, I must stay below a set amount of $700.
I feel like I am walking in circles.
December 3, 2009 @06:54pm
russell.mc

hi! i was about to make a new thread (and still might if that's better) but I think my question is very similar to what's being asked in this thread... I'm looking at Presonus and M-Audio interfaces as well, but on a smaller scale - i only need a couple of preamps, and i'm aiming to pay around $300, with a cap of $400. I'd been looking at these:
Presonus Firestudio Mobile (Firewire)
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (USB)
The M-Audio interface has 4 preamps, compared to 2 on the Presonus... other than that they seem fairly similar to me (both $300), except that the Presonus seems to be pretty new, so there aren't many reviews available yet. Does anybody have suggestions on which way is likely to be better? They'd be used with Logic and a pretty new Macbook Pro. I'd also looked at the MOTU Ultralite, but i'd have to buy an older model, used, to bring it into my price range.
Thoughts? i can also put up a separate thread if this isn't really the same question. thanks!
December 12, 2009 @04:34pm
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!