0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Best Pro Tools Plug in Drums

PRSWILL

OK- So I am thinking about getting another drum plug in. I'd like to get one that allows me to edit the midi receive note for each sound so I can plug my Electronic drum kit into it and play. Right now I have the BFD light kit and it works ( sort of) as well as Kit Core (I like the preset loops and fills- but can't edit the midi stuff)
So what's out there that really sounds awesome and have a ton of flexibility?
Thanks!
February 23, 2009 @11:11pm
Smithcok

OK- So I am thinking about getting another drum plug in. I'd like to get one that allows me to edit the midi receive note for each sound so I can plug my Electronic drum kit into it and play. Right now I have the BFD light kit and it works ( sort of) as well as Kit Core (I like the preset loops and fills- but can't edit the midi stuff)
Thanks!

Why not just have your drum kit send a different MIDI note?
I have Strike, and I like it a lot. Takes a little while to get used to, as its interface is "different" (not in a bad way). With a little tweaking, the sounds are great.
I've heard people like EZDrummer as well, though I've never used it.
February 23, 2009 @11:33pm
Tarktones

I've used both EZ Drummer and Superior 2.0. Both are amazing.
February 24, 2009 @12:44am
Audioholic

I really like Addictive drums. I think it sounds very much more like a recorded kit then say EZ drummer. EZ drummer just has a sound to it that I can pretty much pick out very easily. AD It sits in a mix better, and you can eq and process just like you recorded it yourself. So I have EZ and pretty much all of the expansions, which rarely gets used.
Superior looks and sounds to be sweet, specially if you want that HUUGE stadium rock drum sound.
Mixosaurus and Ocean Way drums are also to be looked at if your budget can afford it. they sound great!
February 24, 2009 @04:16am
JrummerJ

My vote would go for Superior 2.0. Great samples with an engine designed for e-drummers. Lots of flexibility, and a great mixer screen, too. I trigger mine from my e-drums, too, and it works great.
EZdrummer is just a bit too simple from an e-drummer's perspective, no midi learn, can't pitch change any drums, limited kit pieces. Superior takes care of all of that as well as having tweaks for dynamics and how the drums react. Little bit of a learning curve, but not more than any other software.
There are some graphical issues right now with Superior and other VIs in PTs, but the next CS update, due out soon, is supposed to fix these issues (at least the ones on Digi's end).
J
February 24, 2009 @02:17pm
5454stevef

Thanks!

I like Addictive Drums as well. In context it's not easy to tell it's not a real drummer. Nice smooth tails on the cymbals, stuff like that. I can't speak to how well it works with an e-kit, or if it even works with them at all.
Probably not the best for bombastic rock tracks; it just sounds like a nicely mic'd up kit. Although it does allow you to add distortion to the sound if you want.
Out of the box it doesn't come with a huge selection of drums, but you have a lot of tweaking power at your disposal, you can control the pitch, add pitch bend, dynamics, compression, add noise, control the envelope of the sound, eq, effects and so on. You can really get a lot of different sounds out of just a few kits. And of course you can mix & match drums.
The snare has two "mics", top and bottom, you can blend them to taste, add in or take away rattle.
The sample randomization sounds pretty realistic, flams and quick hits sound like two sticks. I don't know how many samples it uses for each drum, but you get a smooth progression from barely hit to full-tilt whaling away, nice tonal variation with velocity.
The midi loops that come with it are for the most part "human" sounding, and the way it works is, if you find a loop you like, you just drag it to the midi track and edit it as you see fit. I don't use them often, have used maybe two of them.
You can send each drum or stereo send to an auxiliary track, process it as though it was a live recorded track with plug-ins, and record it to an audio track. Or record it and process later. I imagine most decent products will do that though. There's no direct output for the cymbals, those only go to the overheads and room mic channels, as though you were mic'ing a real kit.
They have a free demo download that will give a small taste of how it sounds, but the drum selection on the demo is sparse... no toms. After using it I was pretty sold and bought the full product.
One thing I wish it had - brushes... maybe it has them and I'm just not able to access 'em but I can't find any. I doubt it, though, because none of the jazz loops have brushes in them.
I don't know if it fulfills your wish to be able to edit the midi note that makes each drum sound, never tried it. I haven't seen any kind of mapping menu or anything, but then I haven't looked.
SF
February 25, 2009 @04:28am