0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Apogee Ensemble & ProTools LE

rightrack

Hello everyone, been a lurker for a while and decided to register. My question is: Can I add the Ensemble to my setup along with the Mbox2?
My rig is as follows,
-MacBook Pro 15" (new uni-body aluminum)
-Mbox2
-ProTools LE 8
Thanks in advance.
December 26, 2008 @10:34pm
Andrew_Malloy

Yes, but you won't be able to aggregate them together, nor can you use the Ensemble in Pro Tools.
December 26, 2008 @10:36pm
rightrack

So as long as PT sees the required PT hardware, I can add the Ensemble and have it's I/O available in PT but not together with the Mbox2 correct. I don't mind losing the MBox to just a dongle for PT. I know Logic is a better route for the Ensemble but I wish to stay with PT for now.
December 26, 2008 @10:47pm
Andrew_Malloy

No, you will not be able to use the ensemble directly into Pro Tools at all.
You can use it as a converter into the MBox in standalone mode, but that will only give you 2 in and 2 out.
December 26, 2008 @10:50pm
rightrack

Thanks so much Andrew for the quick reply :) Are there any other interfaces in the Ensemble league that will work with PT?
December 26, 2008 @11:00pm
Andrew_Malloy

You could always trade your MBox in for a 003 for a better deal than if you were to eBay the MBox.
December 26, 2008 @11:02pm
rightrack

Really?! I didn't know that. My MBox is only a few months old and I have all the original packaging and purchased at Sweetwater. What kind of a deal are we talking??
December 26, 2008 @11:07pm
rightrack

I assume you're talking about the DigiDesign trade in program? I checked their trade in price list. Pretty cool.
December 26, 2008 @11:54pm
yeahforbes

rightrack, can you please share this price list with us? I'll certainly be asking my Sweetwater guy about this!
December 27, 2008 @07:46am
Smithcok

December 27, 2008 @03:26pm
rightrack

Yeahforbes, Smithcok beat me to it :)
December 27, 2008 @07:48pm
Foreverain4

you can use the apogee as a standalone AD/DA converter with your mbox 2. this will give you 4 total inputs (2 from the ensemble) including the mbox's pres. you can also use the ensemble with a 002/003 to get 8 channels of standalone conversion. this is exactly what i do, and it works perfectly...
December 28, 2008 @01:58am
Danoan522

you can use the apogee as a standalone AD/DA converter with your mbox 2. this will give you 4 total inputs (2 from the ensemble) including the mbox's pres. you can also use the ensemble with a 002/003 to get 8 channels of standalone conversion. this is exactly what i do, and it works perfectly...

Hi everyone; i'm new here. Can you share some light as to what the connection to the 003 is like? i just ordered a 003 rack+ and i've been looking at the Ensemble as a form of 8 channel apogee-quality conversion. I should mention that i plan to stick with Protools Le with this setup. Any information on the advantages with this setup (or if it's possible) and how it is done is welcomed!
April 29, 2009 @05:11am
Foreverain4

ensemble configuration:
first, you need to install the maestro software on your mac, plug the ensemble in via firewire, and configure your analog inputs directly to an adat lightpipe output. likewise, the adat lightpipe inputs get routed directly to the analog outs. you may want to save this setup somewhere on your mac, in case something happens. when you unplug the firewire cable, the ensemble will retain the routing configuration in its memory and effectively enter "standalone mode".
hardware connections:
adat lightpipe out of the ensemble, to adat lightpipe in of 003.
protools configuration:
go to your hardware setup and set your clock to external adat.
April 30, 2009 @02:57am
Foreverain4

btw, if you are on a pc, you will have to barrow a mac to set your ensemble up. the software is mac only.
April 30, 2009 @02:58am