0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Set up a microphone (included into a webcam)

zigzi

Hi,
I've just baught a webcam. The model is eucc-861, its resolution is 500k and it has an incorporated microphone.
I've installed the CD of installation which contains the drivers, however I also downloaded them via the official website of eurocase, the brand that provides my webcam.
The webcam works fine when it comes for the video part, but not at all when it comes to the audio part.
I've tried all I could in order to set up the microphone but I can't record any sound. I've checked out that the volume is to maximum...
I'm using Windows XP is this can help. My sound card is a SigmaTel.
So I'm guessing that maybe a special driver for microphones is needed?
I've plugged my webcam via USB and the other cable into the microphone section... I really don't know why I can't record any sound.
Thanks for your help!
December 24, 2008 @02:41pm
yeahforbes

Let me see if I follow... the webcam sends video thru USB and audio through a separate wire into your sound card's pink microphone jack?
Open the Windows volume control program. On a mac right now so I'm approximating the exact wording here. Go to Options>Preferences, then choose Recording instead of Playback, be sure Microphone is checked below, and hit OK. In the Microphone channel, make sure there's a checkmark next to "Select" or no checkmark next to "Mute" (depends on sound card as to which you will see). Then go back to that Options menu and be sure that Advanced Controls is checked. If it is, you may see an "Advanced" button in the Microphone channel, if so click it and enable Mic Boost (a.k.a. +20 in some sound cards) if possible.
The wording varies considerably on various systems, and in my memory!
December 26, 2008 @05:02am
zigzi

Let me see if I follow... the webcam sends video thru USB and audio through a separate wire into your sound card's pink microphone jack?
Yes, exactly.

Open the Windows volume control program. On a mac right now so I'm approximating the exact wording here. Go to Options>Preferences, then choose Recording instead of Playback, be sure Microphone is checked below, and hit OK. In the Microphone channel, make sure there's a checkmark next to "Select" or no checkmark next to "Mute" (depends on sound card as to which you will see). Then go back to that Options menu and be sure that Advanced Controls is checked. If it is, you may see an "Advanced" button in the Microphone channel, if so click it and enable Mic Boost (a.k.a. +20 in some sound cards) if possible.
The wording varies considerably on various systems, and in my memory!
Well you have a good memory! I did all this and it doesn't work.
This morning I went to the store where I bought my cam in order to test it. It worked great there. The seller told me to reinstall my audio drivers. I did it, but my cam doesn't work... I even downloaded another sound driver (IDT audio) and installed it. My cam still doesn't work. (The microphone doesn't work I mean. Otherwise the cam works just fine).
There's even an option called "Test hardware". When I click on it I see that my cpu recognize the microphone, but it doesn't work. When I talk I don't see the "sound line" going up nor I can listen to my voice. The volume is not muted, I also boosted the microphone and checked "selected" just under the microphone section.
I just don't know where is the problem! I'm at a loss. I bought my cam to use it with my girlfriend. I leave her for a month, changing of country. I wanted a microphone not to pay for phone calls...
December 26, 2008 @03:18pm
yeahforbes

Perhaps your webcam program is set to use a different sound device. Somewhere in its preferences or options, there may be an Audio Device selection. Choose whichever option has the same name as is displayed at the bottom of Windows Volume Control.
December 26, 2008 @07:17pm
zigzi

Perhaps your webcam program is set to use a different sound device. Somewhere in its preferences or options, there may be an Audio Device selection. Choose whichever option has the same name as is displayed at the bottom of Windows Volume Control.

Well it was by default set like this.
Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it.
Tomorrow I should return to the store where I bought it and ask for a technician...
December 26, 2008 @09:05pm
liciney

is it xp detect automatically? because xp usually detect for new hardware and installed.
January 16, 2009 @12:37am
zigzi

I'm bumping this thread of about 2 years. I'm still having the problem and I don't feel like going to "fix" my computer with a technician since I won't be able to get my computer for at least 2 days (I've had 2 bad experiences of a 10 days without cpu for another problem and it was a 1 day work according to them).
Do you have any other idea?
June 25, 2010 @01:02am
jpleong

I would say buy a different Webcam from a reputable webcam maker like Microsoft or Logitech. Most of them have built-in microphones that do not require any extra connections.
JP
June 25, 2010 @03:27am
yeahforbes

A good idea and an easy fix, but it implies that this webcam is shoddy. If its audio out works on one computer and not another, I wouldn't assume it's the webcam.
It sounds like either your soundcard's mic input or its a/d converter is broken, so try a new one. I had luck using whatever was the cheapest thing that existed on on ebay at the time when I was looking for one. Just search for PCI sound card. The audio interfaces sold here (professional soundcards, basically) are not likely to have the pink input jack for computer microphones, which is what your webcam needs. It's very different from a pro microphone input.
July 5, 2010 @05:34pm