0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

FL Better than Pro Tools???

Mike Cali

am i nuts? but i tried to use pro tools a bit, but i dont know -- i see FL as a better program to master/mix music. The EQs are a lot more user friendly, plus they have one that shows me in real time, the frequencies which are being used by that instrument. The DB meters bigger and easier to read, everything is on one screen. I can use 8 effects for each instrument, i think on pro tools it shows 5, or maybe even 4. I dont know -- i just wanted some opinions because to me...the pro tools industry standard **** is BS, lol. i dont know. maybe FL is just so easy. who knows.
December 15, 2008 @01:44pm
Foreverain4

pro tools HD is the industry standard...
December 15, 2008 @01:46pm
Mike Cali

well yeah i know that, other wise i wouldnt even make an argument about it, and i would juse use FL.
December 15, 2008 @02:00pm
Mike Cali

doesnt mean in 5 years someone wont break out in the industry and be like "yeah i master my **** on FL, everything, make the beats and master right on here"
December 15, 2008 @02:01pm
michaelhoddy

Some programs DO do some things better than Pro Tools (for instance, I don't like PT's MIDI implementation at all- I much prefer Digital Performer for that). I don't love Digi as a company for the reason that they periodically obsolete their hardware for arbitrary reasons, for the fact that they charge additional for features that are no-cost add-ins in other software, and for the artificial limitations they place on their LE software.
On the flip side, it's lightning fast to edit in PT, and it's very stable, at least in comparison to some others.
However, if you are working in a commercial environment or working with commercial-level producers and studios, you ARE or will be working with Pro Tools at some level, whether you are actually using it, or importing or exporting from it.
If you don't need to do that, there's no reason to have to use it.
December 15, 2008 @03:47pm
Smithcok

the pro tools industry standard **** is BS, lol. i dont know. maybe FL is just so easy. who knows.

^^ I'm a little confused on that. I would dare say that its pretty indisputable that PT (HD) is the industry standard DAW.
It seems that Digi is starting to play catch-up on features (lots of hope for PT 8)...
With the features that they are implementing, (assuming they add in ADC soon), I think Pro Tools will become one of the best values in the industry (with the added bonus being that its somewhat of a universal DAW). They have a ways to go, but they are on the right path.
And yeah, as MH said, the editing is Pro Tools is really one of its strongest assests.
December 15, 2008 @05:35pm
Tarktones

Pro Tools is without a doubt the industry standard.
Every single music studio and broadcast professional I know, when I mention that I am a recording engineer for the first time, they always test the waters saying 'you work in Pro Tools?' It doesn't matter if I'm talking to a producer at Turner Broadcast Network, an A&R rep at Capitol or the owner of an SSL studio. They ALL work in Pro Tools.
December 16, 2008 @12:20am
Audioholic

you can pretty much add any plug in you could want to PT, so while some programs come with more right out of the box, doesn't mean the actual work flow is better, or more widely used.
If its just you, and you have a preference and feel better with one software over the other, then just stick with what you like.
Being a long time PT user, I am used to the workflow and I don't see me switching anytime soon, specially as PT 8 will add some lacking features.
bottom line, whats best is sometimes a personal preference, but make no mistake that PT is very widely used, and I don't see that changing in the near future.
December 16, 2008 @05:28am
brianbfw

Pro tools is the industry standard. However, people get pretty worked up about which DAW is best.
Personally, I like logic and Digital performer better then pro tools, and that's probably because those are the DAW's i started with. if i have to work in windows, Sonar is a great DAW as well.
Each DAW has it's own type of workflow, so i wouldn't go with pro tools because it is the industry standard, i would go with the DAW you like best.
What is much much more important is how you are working, ie recording techniques, tracking good levels, pro mic placement, good quality preamps and compressors, good levels, etc.
DAW's to me pretty are much the same, it's really just the workflow.
if possible, i would get on a work station and play around with PT, logic, digital performer, sonar, etc and just see which one you like best.
-another side note,
does anyone out there know when pro tools will be going 64-bit? it looks like sonar is the only 1 so far. that will be huge.
December 16, 2008 @01:49pm
aitikin

PT is the industry standard, but that doesn't mean everyone uses it. I know many a professional who has never run PT and many more who hate it. Nuendo is apparently the big one out there that people are loving these days, but Logic is great if you can get past the learning curve. I presume you're talking about Fruity Loops, which I've never used, but I'm sure is more effective for some things than PT. I just feel you get screwed with PT because you have to have their hardware, and I HATE having to bounce everything realtime. If I'm just using plugins, I should be able to take advantage of the computer's power, not be limited by lazy programming...
December 18, 2008 @06:23am