rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Fret or Fretless

juineaux

I have been a bass player for a while now, but I hung it up about a yr ago to play more guitar. Recently I was invited to play in a band, I did the gig...I still have some decent chops....anyways I need a NEW BASS. My poor little bass is in awful shape. I am trying to choose between two tobias' a freted and a fretless. This bands sound is altRock & jamgroove, They sound like a mixture between incubus and coldplay. All original songs. I will also be singing most of the songs. I personally love the sound of fretless best, but will it match the bands sound and be too hard to sing at the same time. So which do I choose?
Tom-
November 18, 2002 @11:36pm
David Klausner

I personally love the sound of fretless, but it is a different sound, and may not be appropriate for all bands. On the other hand, having a fretless bass may be part of the "sound" that makes you guys different. It's really up to you and your bandmates to experiment to see what you think works best in your situation.
As for singing while playing, I prefer fretted, but I know Jack Bruce prefers fretless when he sings, since he can always slide into a note if he's off, whereas on a fretted bass, if you're off enough, you've just hit a clam, and there's not much you can do about it.
November 18, 2002 @11:58pm
Dr.SixString

Get 'em both.
Dr6.
November 19, 2002 @04:51am